Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to bypass Rev-limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to bypass Rev-limiter?

Does anyone know if there is a product or procedure for bypassing the rev-limiter on the Polaris EFI's? Is there a way to set it higher using the EFI software used for diagnostic testing by the dealers? Are there any aftermarket ignition systems for these that might not have a built in, or better yet maybe have an adjustable rev limiter setting? While I have no data to fall back on, it would seem that another 1000 or so RPM's would do wonders without being detrimental to reliability. I've heard several comments about the Polaris twins being somewhat "detuned" from the factory. If anyone has any comments or suggestions regarding this please let us know.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the rev limiters are there for a reason buddy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

What reason Spyder? Is it a safety issue for the masses that purchase them?, or is there some engine component that can't stand the extra RPM's? The reason I ask is so that I might get an idea of what internal modifications to make to increase power. If it is just to limit power to a certain level, then why detune a 700 and then turn around and build an 800 to sell to the same public? Just wondering if anyone knows what Polaris' reasoning is for the rev limiter. If it 's only to limit top speed I could understand that. I spend very little time wound out in high range and rarely get above 60MPH anywhere I ride. It would be nice to have the extra RPM potential in low range though. Just think how it would improve acceleration and low range usabilty if they didn't hit the rev-limiter quite so easily. I'm not saying that everyone should overide there rev-limiter as it could be dangerous to some, but I see it as being a quick modification for experienced riders who are probably going to hop-up their machines anyway. Just wondering if anyone has attempted or been successful in doing so. Also Spyder, did you decide to keep your Predator?

Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rev limiter is in place to protect the motor, just how red-lines are on cars Tacometers to indicate the limits of the motors design. The motors are detuned in a power sence, not a RPM sence. things like the computer maping and the cam shafts are how its detuned. a high performance camshaft from HPD/Speedwerx adds so much power to the 800EFI that it requires a totaly new clutch kit to handle the torque and horsepower produced.

if you want power, buy a cam, K&N/Uni, Power Commander, high performance exhuast, and have the head ported and polished and you'll be pushing 70 horses at the crank i bet.

yes, im keeping my predator, i suppose i'll just have to buy a rear bumper with a hitch built in so i can haul its fat *** around [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]