Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 sportsman 400 STOCK with belt slipping (have done a search)

Old 07-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 400 STOCK with belt slipping (have done a search)

'DougByrd'.........how did you end up???

Old 07-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 sportsman 400 STOCK with belt slipping (have done a search)

okay...you guys are probably going to hate me, but here is the deal...when i went outside monday to check to make sure both the clutches were working, the starter started sticking and was sounding real nasty. At first i thought it was just the solenoids were clogged up and wasn't getting enough voltage so i cleaned off the solenoids and all the electrical connections and that didn't fix it. after reading through the probable causes and such and wanting to make sure i had the quad read for a trip to windrock i realized that with my busy work schedule i didn't think i'd have the time to tackle this project and get it complete. so with the belt issue and the starter issue, i took it to the dealer cause its still under the extended 2yr warrenty thinking the chattanooga dealership, being the largest volume seller in the south, has probably seen similar problems and could knock it out in no time.

So i took it in tuesday and they said they'd call me when they started work on it. no calls up to thursday so i called them. "oh yeah..we just started on it..blah blah blah" i call back early friday and "no its not done yet, but its real close, we'll probably get it done today" i call back midday "no, its close but its not done" i ask if they have any idea what's wrong with it "oh, i don't know, i'm not the one working on it..." so i call at 9:02 sat (they open at 9) and am on hold for a few minutes. hang up, wait 20 mintues and call back. we are suppose to be leaving for windrock at 11am and i've got cash ready for them to pick it up on the way up to windrock.

They kept dicking me around so i just left for windrock then headed to my parents place in NC to spend a week there. i'll be getting back to tennessee probably thursday or friday.

Guys, i really do appreciate yall's advice and detailed instructions. i've already printed off this thread and saved it for later usage because our 330 magnum is having some issues in low gear and i intend to take the clutches apart. The belt looks pretty warn and i think it has a little bit of glazing. It also uses the same belt as my 400... the 330 mag just sounds like its reving out really high; at 15mph it sounds likes its turning about 6Krpms but it pulls and everything. just sounds like low gear is a granny gear or something and i dont' ever remember it being like that. In high gear it pulls fine. and at windrock i used high gear for all but the steepest of hills.