Old 07-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 EFI Idle Adjustment

Old 07-22-2006, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oops. Hit return to fast. Anyways, can any one tell me how to adjust the idle on an '05 800 efi? It's around 1400 rpm and it's really hard to shift and creeps a little. I figure that would be the easiest place to start to fix the problem.

Old 07-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

not sure but i think the Dealer has to do that.

anyone?

Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you'r right. the idle is preset and needs a dealer to adjust it. the on;y thing that is adjustable is the free play in the throttle cable. if their isnt any that might be why it's running too high.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys. I figured as much. I checked the cable but that wasn't it. I guess I'll just have to wait till the dealership isn't as busy and get it adjusted.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 AM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot who sent me this but here it is. Its in the PoPo service manual too.

This is from a '07 efi 800 and up........ you will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and a sewing needle or stick pin, and a 10" piece of brake tubing (3/16) bent about 3" form the end, (L) the tubing is to adjust the idle screw (on the left side of the throttle body) and you will have to make it fit the double D head on the screw. Back off your throttle cable at the adjustment near the throttle lever, Pull off the seat and RH side panel, Take the foam seal off the air tubes and remove the air box cover, Back off the idle screw so the plate is closed,(maybe 2 turns ccw) Loosen the clamps on the throttle body so you can turn it to gain access to loosen the TPS screw, Take your meter and ground the black lead, Take your pin and push it along the yellow wire in the connector from the TPS, Connect the red lead to the pin, (make sure red lead dosen't get grounded) Set the meter to DC voltage, Turn on your key and check the voltage, (it should read .528v +or-.01v) if not loosen the TPS screw and move the TPS to the correct voltage, tighten the screw and recheck voltage, Once voltage is set, turn throttle body back into place and tighten the clamp, now adjust the idle screw and watch the TPS voltage (it should be adjusted to .710v +or- .01v) Start the machine and let it warm up to the normal idle speed, you may need to turn the idle down some, (manual states idle speed 1150 rpm +or- 100rpm) to get this as close to perfect as possable you may need to set the TPS (primary adjustment) slightly higher than the .528v so your final throttle voltage adjustment is closer to the .710v you may not get a full .710v at the idle speed you want. Now adjust your throttle cable so there is just a little play in it before it moves the plate and lock it down cover it up with the rubber cover and your are finished.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess thats why a dealer needs to do it unless you have the tools and access to that info lol. good info to have for sure.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UTU

This is from a '07 efi 800 and up........ you will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and a sewing needle or stick pin, and a 10" piece of brake tubing (3/16) bent about 3" form the end, (L) the tubing is to adjust the idle screw (on the left side of the throttle body) and you will have to make it fit the double D head on the screw. Back off your throttle cable at the adjustment near the throttle lever, Pull off the seat and RH side panel, Take the foam seal off the air tubes and remove the air box cover, Back off the idle screw so the plate is closed,(maybe 2 turns ccw) Loosen the clamps on the throttle body so you can turn it to gain access to loosen the TPS screw, Take your meter and ground the black lead, Take your pin and push it along the yellow wire in the connector from the TPS, Connect the red lead to the pin, (make sure red lead dosen't get grounded) Set the meter to DC voltage, Turn on your key and check the voltage, (it should read .528v +or-.01v) if not loosen the TPS screw and move the TPS to the correct voltage, tighten the screw and recheck voltage, Once voltage is set, turn throttle body back into place and tighten the clamp, now adjust the idle screw and watch the TPS voltage (it should be adjusted to .710v +or- .01v) Start the machine and let it warm up to the normal idle speed, you may need to turn the idle down some, (manual states idle speed 1150 rpm +or- 100rpm) to get this as close to perfect as possable you may need to set the TPS (primary adjustment) slightly higher than the .528v so your final throttle voltage adjustment is closer to the .710v you may not get a full .710v at the idle speed you want. Now adjust your throttle cable so there is just a little play in it before it moves the plate and lock it down cover it up with the rubber cover and your are finished.</end quote></div>

Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: UTU

This is from a '07 efi 800 and up........ you will need a digital volt/ohm meter, and a sewing needle or stick pin, and a 10" piece of brake tubing (3/16) bent about 3" form the end, (L) the tubing is to adjust the idle screw (on the left side of the throttle body) and you will have to make it fit the double D head on the screw. Back off your throttle cable at the adjustment near the throttle lever, Pull off the seat and RH side panel, Take the foam seal off the air tubes and remove the air box cover, Back off the idle screw so the plate is closed,(maybe 2 turns ccw) Loosen the clamps on the throttle body so you can turn it to gain access to loosen the TPS screw, Take your meter and ground the black lead, Take your pin and push it along the yellow wire in the connector from the TPS, Connect the red lead to the pin, (make sure red lead dosen't get grounded) Set the meter to DC voltage, Turn on your key and check the voltage, (it should read .528v +or-.01v) if not loosen the TPS screw and move the TPS to the correct voltage, tighten the screw and recheck voltage, Once voltage is set, turn throttle body back into place and tighten the clamp, now adjust the idle screw and watch the TPS voltage (it should be adjusted to .710v +or- .01v) Start the machine and let it warm up to the normal idle speed, you may need to turn the idle down some, (manual states idle speed 1150 rpm +or- 100rpm) to get this as close to perfect as possable you may need to set the TPS (primary adjustment) slightly higher than the .528v so your final throttle voltage adjustment is closer to the .710v you may not get a full .710v at the idle speed you want. Now adjust your throttle cable so there is just a little play in it before it moves the plate and lock it down cover it up with the rubber cover and your are finished.</end quote></div>

Thats priceless info imo.....I used a 4mm 6 point socket to adjusted the idle screw.....fit perfect. Rather than mess around with 3/16 brake line.
By the way thanks for the info guys.

Art