Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

anyone use pull starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone use pull starter

when I bought my 10 year old Polaris the pull starter was about the only thing that did not work - the cord had broken and the pull handle was in the little tool box with 6 inches of frayed rope

I figure the owner must have used it most times so electric start will hopefully keep going a bit longer for me - but I would like to have the pull start as emergency

so I took it apart and put in new rope but nearly broke my arm trying to use it and engine did not start, then I pulled so hard the knot slipped out so I gave the whole thing a miss

so I am thinking of doing job again and using longer bit of rope, but is it normal to have such huge back pressure [the manual talks about there being "unloaders" or similar word to ease the pressure while cranking, so maybe they not working

it is a "4 cycle" 425 CC motor

Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i use it all the time on our 500 H.O. when the battery died it was the only way to get it started the 4 months before i finnaly took it in for a tune up, belt, and new battery.

what your manual is talking about is that there are lifters on one of the exhuast valves that keeps it open so when you pull start it theres a way for hte pressure to release so you dont break your arm. i always attempt pull starting with a glove on though, alot less pain.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

because the back pressure was so high I was suspecting my lifters may be stuck or whatever but if you say you use a glove maybe the pressure is just normal??

but even when I did get it to turn one revolution there was no suggestion of it starting, even though it starts first turn on starter motor

any special tricks short of calling in Silvestor Stalone for a hand

Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard a slower more steady pull turns over easy...

Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I have never used mine. But yes, I have tested it out. Mine has a little pressure valve you have to flick on in order to pull it. If you don't flick it on, it is near impossible for me to pull it. But I'm sure it would come in handy if you bat. did die!

Z

Old 08-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

flick it on? its automatic

i use a glove because it alows me a better grip to yank on it. i pull it as hard as i can and as fast as i can the first time with the choke out and it always turns over, ahelping hand feathering the throttle sometimes helps aswell

Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

Wow the pull start on my 05 Grizz will just about dislocate my shoulder, No pressure relief for me, Thats one of the selling points why I bought it,,, Hope I never have to use it

Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

i have drift started my sportsman before....dunno if you guys have or not

Old 08-09-2006, 02:01 AM
Range Rover

haha you did what?? drift started it?? never heard of it tell me what you did. As far as starting with a recoil, I use it everyday on my sportsman ho. My starter went bad like 2 years ago, ever since then its been recoil. starts first pull everytime. There is technique to it believe it or not, You cant just go out there and yank on the recoil and expect it to start, you can sure as hell expect it to kick the piston back down causing the recoil to suck back in while you are pulling it and the handle to jerk out of you hand, or your arm to pop out of its socket ect ect. There was a bombardier at my house not long ago and we were riding, the batt sprung a leak and had no juice so no elc start. out of 5 guys im the only one who could start it. I knew how from having to use it on my sportsman and breaking the recoil 3 times in a row. You have to know what to do, you can also start a non decomp engine the same way. Brian

Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

lol i couldnt believe i drift started it either. i forget i was in high or low gear. just stop on a hill and shut it off and just go down the hill and put ur weight to the back and if your tires hook up it should start

Quick Reply: anyone use pull starter