Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how to get into diagnostic mode ?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to get into diagnostic mode ?

hi i have an 06 500efi and was wondering how to get to diagnostic mode i have turn the key on off 3 times while in park but it wont work (just like the manual said).
i took my machine out for my 1st long drive (only have 6.5h on it) and when i would stop it would stall even when i tried to start it it would not start unless i had a bit on the throttle and i had to stay on the throttle b/c when i let off it would stall this is the 1st time it has happened. i thighten the throttle calble b/c there was some play hopefully this fixes the problem. has anyone else had problems like this also when it is parked now it starts just fine.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

You should check your build date. This was a common problem on the earlier builds, but was supposedly fixed for the later ones. There's also a flash being done by the dealer to people who complain about the stalling. Mine only stalls when I'm towing heavy loads and come to a stop in low gear.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

my build date is 05/03/06 on th machine which i think is may 3rd/06 i am not sure how to read the build date i thought they would have all the problems fixed by then if in fact it is a may machine and not march 5th?

Old 08-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Even if it's a march build date, it may still have the problem, as I know that the fix has only been in the last couple of months (june rings a bell).

As stated earlier (knock on wood) mine's been pretty well trouble free. On the odd occasion where it did stall, it fired right back up. Sounds like you may have the ETC problem on yours. In the thumb throttle cover there's a switch which sometimes needs to be adjusted. Check with your dealer.

Good luck,

Trev

Old 08-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Range Rover

I believe you have to hold the reverse over ride button while turning the key on in park

Old 08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if its like my 800 efi, you have to have it off and in park then push and hold the override button then turn the key on. release button and bush to scroll thru the options.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

My 500efi you have to put it in neutral then hold the overide button and turn on the key. Goes right into diag mode. Good luck

Old 08-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Pro Rider

Read the Manual!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

chuck; i have a 500efi build date 6-7-06. at 7 miles it did the same thing yours did but after it stalled it wouldnt start for 15 to20 min. i got the first reflash and that helped some but sill had problems. nothing ever showed up in the diagnostic. i found the throttle cable with a little over 1/4 inch slack. i tighten it up to very little as you did and this helped quite a bit but when riding at 7000 to 10500 ft in elevation it didnt seem to run quit right or have the power it should and some times after starting it would go in to limp home mode and run rich and poorly. got the 2nd reflash and now no problems and best of all at any time when you get on it you can spin the wheels;something it wouldnt do before. i think your best bet would be go back to dealer and get both reflashs or what ever is late'st. even if you dont ride at higher elevation the 2nd reflash realy woke my 500 up. if this dosnt help there are some more tricks you can try to keep your quad out of limp home whitch is the main problem. this makes your quad run rich to keep from burning it up if you have a problem. the problem is it is programed to run richer for the first 50 hours or so. hope this helps - have to go. will check later and see how you make out.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is how it works on my 06 700 efi you put it in neutral put on the park brake push and hold the overide button and turn the key too on. Turning it from off to on 3 times is suppose to give you an error code if there are any. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to get into diagnostic mode ?