Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magnum 425 4x4 NOT WORKING!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 425 4x4 NOT WORKING!?!?!?

Hey guys! Haven't been on here in a very long time! Sorry been gone so long but new job leaves just about no time in the day! Hope everyone is doing well!!

My problem is that my 95 Magnum 425 4x4 is running well, but the demand 4 wheel drive is not working. the front hubs do not engage at all. the rear tires spin, as does the front chain and axel shafts, both left and right, BUT the hubs do not turn at all. have taken off the front tires and the hubs spin very free.

I was out 2 weeks ago with my 700 sportsman and our predator and thought we would bring the other ATV with us. We started to go and i turned around and my father was stuck up this little hill. the rear tires were spinning but the front wheels were not.

Is there a special solinoid or anything that could be faulty or anything like that??? i followed the 2 wires from each drive set up in the front and made sure all was attached and good to go. I am really stuck and have no clue. Seems odd that both are not working BUT spin freely. There is just no power being applied to the drive in the front. If anyone could shed some light on this, I would greatly appreciate it! Look forward to hearing back from you guys very much so!
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would start at the awd switch and check for power and start tracing from there to make sure theres power.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Trailblazer

stendori, thanks for the response. the thing with this machine is that it is all time 4 wheel drive. There is no on/off switch for the 4x4 like there is for my 2002 700 twin. Thats why i'm confused w/ this.

I'm not sure if the front hubs egage w/ the 4x4 after the tires are spinning at a certain speed, or if they are triggerd electronicly, or are they just supposed to spin at all times?! I probably should buy a manual for it and i would know a lot more. I'm not used to not being able to fix a problem on these machines, but this one has me stumped b/c i have no clue how the 4x4 works on this 1995 Magnum 425!

Well guys, i really look forward to the responses b/c i know you guys are all so knowledgeable on this site and have helped myself and many people out tremendously!!!!!! Any and all imput welcome!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First change the fluid in both hubs.Make sure the AWD light is on.Then try it if this doesnt work take the hubs apart and clean the parts.While it is apart check the magnet and aramture plate to see if they will stick together with the power on.Clean it all and reassymble.
There is no sensor for wheelspin it is actually the rear wheels pushing(overiding the front)that engages the hubs.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks! I'm going out in the garage right now to change the fluid!!! I took one of the caps off last night and there was barely any in there. are the hubs supposed to be topped off w/ the filler holes up top? or should the filler holes be on the side and fill it until it comes out (therefore making the hubs about half full)? Also, where would this AWD light be?? Right where the indicator lights are for neutral? Since this machine is "full-time" AWD, would there even be a light? thanks again for your insight! I was unaware as to how the front hubs worked and it makes perfect sense how you explained it! Thanks and look forward to more of the knowledge sharing!!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

First off the 425 Magnum is not full time 4x4. The red button on the right handle bar is the 4x4 (AWD) button and has a red light in it.That is lit when the buton is on.
The hubs need to be alittle less than half full.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

Now i'm really confused.... the Magnum I have does not have a red switch on the right handle bar at all. I was shocked myself b/c i thought all Polaris's allowed you to chose 4x2 or 4x4. this one def does not. Now that you mention it... I remember my 94 Polaris Sportsman 400 had the red switch on the right handle bar and would light up when i pressed it. I'm wondering if someone had problems and put the wrong throttle assembly on it. I REALLY APPRECIATE you pointing this out FTW!!!! I totally forgot that my old one had this setup. Now i really need to do some research and try and find out why its like this and if this is so, can i just purchase the correct throttle setup, which will allow me to select 4x4!!!! THANKS so much for pointing this out! I just hope i can get to the bottom of this REAL soon!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

FTW, JUST ran outside to look AND THE 4x4 buttom assembly is MISSING! I see the 2 bolt holes to whre it bolts on to!!!! I totally forgot about the setup on my old Sportsman!!! i can't believe its missing!!! I'm ordering the part tonight or tomorrow!! Thanks so much for pointing this out! you are saving me A LOT OF WORRYING AND BEING P'D off!!!! Have a great weekend! Hopefully u get out to ride. My brother and I are going out all day tomorrow w/ the 700 twin and the Predator to the quarrys!!! I will let you know if the missing 4x4 button assembly is the only prob I am!!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Quad Patrol

Glad to be some help
On riding here tomorrow it is not a safe weekend to ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Shotgun deer season and too many idiots out there.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 4x4 on my 1999 425 magnum doesnt work in forward only in reverse. can any one help me???