Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 07 800 x2 And my awd only works in reverse with the overdrive switich on.

Going forward it doesn't work.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kawiking489
1. Change your hub oil between every 3-7 months depending on how hard you ride your Polaris.
2. When your not using 4x4, dont have the button on! (Simple and effective. Think about it)
3. Always keep Fresh Hub Oil (Green Labeled Bottle) inside your hubs when you go on long rides.
When you say "Hub Oil", are you talking about the differert types of gear oil in the front and rear differentials?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by sodfather
When in awd only three wheels are turning. What do I do took apart and all the parts look good I'm about to take it to dealer if nobody can help.
I bought a scrambler from local dealer buddy works out. First ride wide open down the road, it suddnely pulled super hard to the right and came close to driving me into the ditch. Took everything I had on the handle bars to keep it straight. Evidently it was kicking into 3 wheel drive when it wanted.

We took it to his shop and he opened the right hub and found a retainer spring (or something of that sort) was mangled so, without it, that hub could engage ***** nilly. I think may want to check for that. He said he hadn't seen that before, but the spring was still there, though not very functional, so it held back the engagement somewhat but not enough.

I can't say this is exact name or reason for this spring, I just know I saw it and it wasn't in its groove and bent/twist up a little. Replaced just that (cheap) and worked perfect since.

Now I have a question. Someone once mentioned if your jumping a polaris with the awd, it's best to do it with awd on. I believe the reason to be because your rear tires will pick up speed in the air and it'll do the 1/5 turn and clunk the front wheels in gear. Seems true enough, but I cant think of who will keep the gas held mid air to engage it. I don't have my scrambler anymore, but I do have a 800 sportsman now and lord knows I won't hold back from some air with it.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Range Rover

I have 07 800 x2 And my awd only works in reverse with the overdrive switich on.

Going forward it doesn't work.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default questions about front diff. magnet

tore down my front diff (04 magnum 330 4x4) thinking the hiliiard cage was shredded. nope. while back i had to rewire a switch to engage 4wd when the speedo died... worked well for some time but not anymore. Don't know if the 12v messed it up, or exactly what. when i wire the diff wires up, i get no magnetic action happening in the thrust pin.

anyone know what the proper voltage and wiring hookup is for the front? and if this thrust pin (magnetic doohickey) is replaceable?

Old 04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by atvbo
tore down my front diff (04 magnum 330 4x4) thinking the hiliiard cage was shredded. nope. while back i had to rewire a switch to engage 4wd when the speedo died... worked well for some time but not anymore. Don't know if the 12v messed it up, or exactly what. when i wire the diff wires up, i get no magnetic action happening in the thrust pin.

anyone know what the proper voltage and wiring hookup is for the front? and if this thrust pin (magnetic doohickey) is replaceable?
not allot of experience here but the only voltage availible on the machine is 12vdc so I would guess that the doo hicky (electric sielond) would be a 12vdc device that activates when the system sends 12vdc to it engaging the hub. make sure you still have a good ground at the speedo splice point, all that the speedo was doing was establishing a ground to complete the awd circuit , without it you have no gnd in the circuit and current cannot flow. how messy is that hub to pull apart? I have one that is leaking and needs seals....

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default pulling the front diff.

on mine it was not bad- remove the oil cooler grill and shrouds, remove the oil cooler (keep it on the brackets. you can't move it out of the way- you have to take it off),pull the front tires, pull the calipers off, unbolt the brake line from above the caliper, pull the hubs off, unbolt the tie rods, unbolt the controlling arm at the hub and pull it off the mounting bolt, then the shock assembly will swing out and you can pull the driveshaft out of the front diff (there is a clip on the driveshaft splines inside the diff but a good mallet and prybar will separate them without breaking this clip). Unbolt the bottom mounting bolts for the diff, unbolt the rear bolts where the driveshaft comes into the diff from the tranny. Diff should be loose, so while you pull it forward have someone tap on the back of it until the race comes loose in back and the diff will come out. There is not a lot to the diff itself. I tried to get the cover off while the diff was loose but still attached to the main shaft and it wasn't going to work. Took me about 2 hours without a manual (and I had to take other stuff off front, like my lights and bumper). Jack the atv up as high as you can in front, the more room you have to get underneath the better.

Can't remember anything else, but I apologize if I left a step out.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2000 Sportsman 500 RSE awd not working

i have a 2000 sportsman RSE that i recently replaced the battery in. After i replaced it, my speedometer stopped working, (display and back lighting does not work) and my AWD is not working either. My AWD indicater light is not working. I checked the coils on the hubs and they are 24 ohms, which is correct by the service manuel i have. what is the voltage that is need on the leads that run to the coil on the hubs? There is two wires for each hub. Is one power and the other ground or are they both power and the ground comes from the chassis?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JD Parts
Roller Kit-MIA10666
Cage Kit-MIA10667
seal Kit-MIA10654

I just ordered these, I will be picking them up tomarrow and hope fully get it fixed this weekend....
The A-plate is MIA10656 I did not order this one.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer
Question 2000 Polaris scrambler 500 4x4 hubs not engaging?

Hi I have a 2000 Polaris 500 scrambler 4x4 and this is my other problem. The hubs will not engage. I have had them apart a bought 10 times and everything looks good in regarding to the manual. I just can’t find out what the Holmes of the magnet coils should be in my manual? Is it possible that the rings that grab on the magnets are holding residual magnetism? And not grabbing as strongly as they need to? I am as a loss with this one I think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread