Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread

hey kaiw...sten is a good man an im sure he didnt mean to come off as being mean or anything like that

Old 02-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes I did see that. I wonder what is different. I looked at partsland and dont see any difference other than gear ratio.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

We are all just trying to help each other out. If we were all pro's at all of this we would be charging money for our services.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Admin please pin this to keep down the recent amount of AWD topics)

I am here to explain how the AWD in a Polaris works. I ave worked on them for years and know exactly how they work, and the symptoms on how you can tell when they are going bad. I will also teach you how to avoid having costly repairs on them. Any questions or concerns about your Polaris AWD system, post them here, we will be happy to fix your machine.

im not the one who is posting telling the admin. what to do, nor am i telling people that any questions should be brought to "we" fix the machine. nor telling poeple that they dont make a plastic cage when many have seen or replaced it. i will not "myself" give any advise if im not fairly sure of what im talking about or i'll say its a just a thought or my 2 cents. i am far from being a professional mechanic. AND i am NOT personally attacking, i am just asking questions, and stating written facts.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have just about given up on my 05 700.Tore it apart twice and everything looks good.Changed fluid twice.Unplugged switch and still have awd.Is something staying magnetized is all I can figure.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider

ive got a 94 400 and the 4wd hasnt worked for awhile and i cant figure it out. its not in 4 wheel now but wont come in when i push the switch. any ideas?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

Admin please pin this to keep down the recent amount of AWD topics)

I am here to explain how the AWD in a Polaris works. I ave worked on them for years and know exactly how they work, and the symptoms on how you can tell when they are going bad. I will also teach you how to avoid having costly repairs on them. Any questions or concerns about your Polaris AWD system, post them here, we will be happy to fix your machine.

im not the one who is posting telling the admin. what to do, nor am i telling people that any questions should be brought to "we" fix the machine. nor telling poeple that they dont make a plastic cage when many have seen or replaced it. i will not "myself" give any advise if im not fairly sure of what im talking about or i'll say its a just a thought or my 2 cents. i am far from being a professional mechanic. AND i am NOT personally attacking, i am just asking questions, and stating written facts.</end quote></div>

Agree 100% stendori!!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Little homework for ya

Alright Kawiking, let's see what you can make of this mess. I have a 2004 Polaris 330 Magnum. Recently the speedo unit went kaput, and the machine would not engage 4wd at all- even with the AWD switched to ON. Tired of digging the machine out of mud, I wheeled her into the shop and traced the wires to the front diff/AWD. The speedo unit stayed plugged in and tucked under the front "hood" and I wired a rocker switchroof switch to engage the front diff- the switch has "key on" hot, a good ground, and loads one of the diff wires, the other being grounded. This worked like a charm for a few hard riding sessions and especially with the new ITPs I am running. But stuck in a miserable hole (oh for a few inches of clearance more) the switch was thrown while the rear wheels were turning (not fast, but maybe at quarter-throttle or a bit more) and with a clunk, they engaged for the last time.

Now I know this sounds like roller cage issues, and I'm sure it is chewed up pretty bad (and if anyone knows the JDeere part number, that would be great!) and needs replacing. But, with this switch, sometimes the front diff would lock, sometimes it wouldn't. And to get out of AWD I always had to turn the switch off and back up. PITA.

So, aside from the apparent plastic chaos inside the diff, is the switch going to work? I mean, forever? If key on is 12volts, is that too much for the front diff locker? I don't want to spend money on another speedo unit, nor buy a new diff (unless I can retro fit a later diff into this machine that is beefier and has limited slip).

Any ideas?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default John Deere Parts

Be careful on the John Deere parts. I used some info on one of the threads last year and the part was completely wrong. Yes I made sure of the make, etc. Some guys, while trying to be very helpful, do on occasion give out incorrect info.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2001 scrambler

When in awd only three wheels are turning. What do I do took apart and all the parts look good I'm about to take it to dealer if nobody can help.

Quick Reply: The Polaris AWD Hub/Diff Thread