Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Hawkeye top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Hawkeye top Speed

Iggy: I'm east of you - between Tucson and Sonoita.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Rickeyparker.... who is that guy Vlastic with the other Hawk vids? Is that someone here? I wish he'd leave the dog home when he rides the quad.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

The Dog Oh yeah it looks like its wanting to be petted or something ,,nice looking dog though, did you hear his hawkeye cutting out alot ?

Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider

I just hope he doesn't get 'petted' with the full weight or quad & rider. Yes, it's a beautiful pup - I love dogs.

I didn't think of it as cutting out, I thought he was shutting it off - but now I think you're right. It's like half the time it dies when he lets off the throttle.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

I just took my 06 2X Hawkeye out for it's first hunting trip. I was not looking for speed but the abilty to get off the beaten path. With my 6'2" 180lbs and my son 5'8' 120, this littel unit kept up with the 4x4 at 4000 feet and I have not rejetted. For our purpose this is a great quad.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

As mine gets broken in, it feels like it runs a little harder. I drilled the slide last weekend and it really woke it up from off idle to about 30mph. Been debating about changing to the lighter rollers in the clutch but it seems fine as is. These things will climb. Its not 4 wheels a spinning, but it never boggs down, just keeps pulling. Hopefully, I will be putting my winch on this weekend.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rdeeno
I drilled the slide last weekend and it really woke it up from off idle to about 30mph.

How do I get documentation on how to do this? Do you have any links you can provide to show how to do this?

Thanks!

-Pete

Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

You can google "How to tune a CV carb", it shows Harley carbs, but same principle. To do the Hawkeye you remove the seat, remove the air box lid, remove the bracket at the fuel tank. Loosing the hose clamps to the carb, reach under and rotate it a little. Use a magnetic tip phillips screwdriver to remove the carb top, there is a spring to watch out for, remove the slide (its metal) and drill a hole across from the original the same size. Remove all metal shavings and reinstall. Its a tight working area between the vent tubes, but it can be done. Tools needed are a drill, bits, 10 mm wrench, a torx bit (I believe a 30, I used a pair a pliers) a flat and phillips screwdrivers. Something nonmarring to hold the slide when you drill it. LOL

Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Nice, quick down and dirty directions, this is exactly what I wanted!

Last thing then I'll leave you alone... What exactly will this do for me if I perform this procedure? Give me more power, yes, but what 'technically' does this do?

Thanks again!

-Pete

Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

Between the throttle plate and the intake is a vacuum operated slide. Lets say you go to WOT (wide open throttle) the throttle plates open wide open, but this slow moving, vacuum slide takes it time going up to give you WOT. Drilling the extra hole increases the speed in which it goes up. It gives you more snap between off idle and about 30 mph (mid power). Like I said earilier, google tuning a cv carb. Lots of info and pics (of harley carbs, but close).LOL

Now if they would just build a 400cc versing of this thing, that would be cool.

Quick Reply: Polaris Hawkeye top Speed