Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 stuck in low gear

Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Polaris 500 stuck in low gear ??????HELP??????

Hello.

All of a sudden, I can't seem to get the thing out of gear! I was working with it on Saturday.....working fine. When I went to put it up at the end of the day....couldn't get out of LOW. No nuetral, nothing. Had to literally push backwards to back up.

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
AT, no clutch.

Advice?

kempisjobs@hotmail.com
Thanks

Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Angry Help

I am trying to post on the site and am unable to do so. If anyone knows of a source for a pressure regulator for a Polaris 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI HO, other than purchasing the entire fuel tank from Polaris please let me know.
Thanks
Jean

Old 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KEMPDOG
Hello.

All of a sudden, I can't seem to get the thing out of gear! I was working with it on Saturday.....working fine. When I went to put it up at the end of the day....couldn't get out of LOW. No nuetral, nothing. Had to literally push backwards to back up.

AT, no clutch.

Advice?

kempisjobs@hotmail.com
Thanks
is it still locked in even after you shut it off? if sounds like the shift linkage might need to be adjusted. imo

Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes. I shut it off, rocked it back and forth, everything.
Some quick advice I got at work yesterday after talking to another Polaris owner told me to try and apply the rear foot brake when trying to shift. Nothing. It's been suggested that if I take it out of AWD, that may work....nothing. I've tried pulling it out of gear when it's on (idling), when it's off with the key both on and off.

The only thing that I can think of is that when I last put it into LOW, I had just backed down a grade, applied the brake, and put it into LOW. When I tried to take off, it bogged, almost like it was running out of gas or something, but then it lurched forward and I never gave it another thought. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything or not, but it just seemed significant.

Also, last night when I tried to apply the foot brake, it seems VERY stiff. Again.....don't know if this is any indication or not......plus I rarely use the foot brake, so I'm not that familiar with how it normally feels.

I have a repair manual that I bought for the bike, but haven't had time to dig in. Will that thing help me at all?

Thanks alot for the help.

Kempis

Old 04-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

the foot brake had nothing to do w/ it as on some models around 04' area you needed to apply brake to get it out of park. sounds like maybe a bent shifting fork if when its off you cant it out of gear. the only other thing is to unhook the shifting linkage to see if you can manualy take it out of low w/ the levrs on the trans. to see if its the linkage is the issue. just an idea.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK......I am definitely no mechanic. I can, however, follow a manual pretty well.

I'm assuming that my manual will walk me through all this stuff?

THANKS AGAIN!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if you have the tools and a book your doing alright compared to flying blind. you need to find out if its the linkage or if its inside thats the issue would be my first move if it were me. good luck.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Like mentioned Take the linkage rods off the tranny, and try shifting tanny lever by hand or ply bar. If it works then you just have a simple adjustment problem.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default I had the same issue

Originally Posted by KEMPDOG
Hello.

AT, no clutch.

Advice?

kempisjobs@hotmail.com
Thanks
hey i had the same issue my quad stuck in low i just gojua new clutch and took it thru a mudhole and got burried byt when i rode it around for a bit and washed the trans it shifted just fine