Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Fuel Gauge...Anybody got one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I addressed this problem to Polaris, who said the tank was the reason that no sending unit could be affixed or properly calibrated. This seems darn simple in todays thinking, but I am still relying on the old lift the cap and look style fuel level indicator. As well, I am sure that most every Polaris is doing as well. But wouldn't it be really nice to have a fuel gauge? I mean really, are we that tight in research and developement at Polaris that they can't spend a couple of thousand dollars in R&D and come up with a fuel gauge?

Old 01-07-2001, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

My 97 sportsman came with a gas tank cap gauge,it's just a plastic float that is attached to the cap. Don't know if you can order them though.

Old 01-07-2001, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

I agree, SWAC1. I also think a tach wouldn't be too much to ask, either...at least offer them as a factory option (reasonably priced, of course).

Old 01-07-2001, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

I bought mine from Parker Yamaha. Here's the link: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/atvpolfuelcap.htm

About a month after I bought mine, our local Polaris dealer had some on dislplay, so you might want to check with your dealer also.

Old 01-07-2001, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cap style fuel gauge on the Xplorer.It can be purchased from the Polaris dealership for 18 dollars.Its not perfectly accurate,however,for 18 bucks,its worth every penny,
Bill

Old 01-07-2001, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

i looked in the polaris catalog for this and they dont make them for the sportsman. they only make them for the xplorer,scrambler and trailblazer. i agree that if polaris can put them on ther sleds then they can engineer them for there quads.

i think the new kawie650 has one and so does some of the hondas. so im sure polaris is working on a electric fuel gage for the mighty sportsman

later
jon

Old 01-07-2001, 09:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

SWAC1
What do you ride? I'll bet it's an SP. My 2000 SP is very hard to visualize fuel below 3/4 tank. The float on the gas cap guage won't work on an SP like mine. I always reset my tripmeter at fill-up. It will usually run 50 mi. before reserve (depending on terrian and riding style). If you have an SP like mine I think we'll just have to make the best of it.

Old 01-08-2001, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Good guess, 2000 SP 500 and I really hate to drive for longer than one hour without a handy tank of fuel strapped to the racks. I am sure that Polaris will "hopefully" put this on the drawing boards. Nothing worse than having to switch the fuel on reserve, and your about 20 miles from the closest civilization, and you wonder why you didn't strap on that 5 gallon aux tank for just a "quick ride".

Old 01-08-2001, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider

The Sportsman tank drops down on each side of the machine. When you look through the filler hole you see the shallow part of the tank. There is a heck of a lot of gas left when it looks empty through the filler hole.

This is why the float type guages are not accuirate at all. When the float type guages read empty, the tank still has a lot of gas in it. I would guess over half is still there. If you want to play it ultra safe, or love to pour gas often, the float guage is for you. Otherwise it really isn't of much use. Essentially it tells you when you are full and half empty.

I agree, a reasonably accurate fuel guage for the Sportsman would be wonderfull. I would pay for the option (although I feel it should be standard on a top of the line toy).

DJ

Old 01-09-2001, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

It has a gas gauge. After a fill up set your trip meter to zero and you know your good till it hit 100 miles.When I go on long rides I know its time to turn back when it reads 50 miles.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge...Anybody got one?