Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Electric plow angeling device??

Old 01-07-2001, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know of a device that u can buy so that u dont have to get off your Atv to angle the blade?? i want to get a moose 60" but i wish i could stay on the quad at all times. i figure all it would need to be is a smaller version of what they put on a pickup blade.

thanks
jon

Old 01-07-2001, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

I was wondering that myself and couldn't find anything. I know that cycle country makes an electric screw lift, to lift a mules bed up and down, and you might be able to attach one or two on either side of the plow and use them to angle the plow, like that on a truck, if it could be put togather and wired right. I was thinking about it but i'm not to educated with electric wireing and swithces.

Old 01-07-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

well i looked in the polaris accessorie catalog and on page 51 they have a remote blade release. if u could rig up this with a motor that would angle the blade when the locking pin was released.

im sure its possible to do but would take some engineering to get it to work. it would also have to take alot of snow on it.

im surprised that there is no company that makes one with all the owners of plows out there. i would think that they would sell alot.

later
jon

Old 01-07-2001, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

jon

I had thought about getting that remote locking pin switch on my plow and then attaching some cables to the blade so that I could swing it the way I want. I never got around to it though as it would take longer to do than I spend plowing all year.

My parents garden tractor that we had when I was a kid had a lever attached to the plow frame that run up to the plow itself. The lever had a trigger on it that when depressed, would unlock the pivot. You then pushed the lever forward or backward and it would pivot the blade. I think this type of lever would be easier to make than an electric type. Let us know if you figure something out.

Old 01-07-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

thanks MagnumMudMan

what brand of tractor was that?? maybee ill go to sears this week and look at how the sears craftsmans blades angle. it would be easier to copy a proven design than to re-engineer something.

later
jon

Old 01-07-2001, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

My friend had a Torro lawn tractor with a blade and it aslo had a lever going to the plow. You had to pull it back to unlock it, push it left of right to turn it and push it forward to lock it again. Worked nice.

Old 01-08-2001, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

jon

It was a mid-80's Wheel Horse lawn tractor. Since Wheel Horse was bought out by Toro, its hard telling if they still use that design. I think a lot of the lawn tractor plows have some sort of angling device on them. I wonder why the atv plows do not have any sort of angling device.

Old 01-08-2001, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

So far, the manual angling hasn't been a problem, for me. But, I like mechanical things, and have been trying to find a source for small hydraulic cylinders and a small pump. The forces on the plow are very strong, that is why the hydraulic set-up would be neat. If any of you know some truck low rider buddie, the ones that make their trucks hop and bounce, maybe we can find a source for the parts.

Old 01-09-2001, 04:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have a power angling device on my plow. It is made from a 12 volt actuator cylinder off of an industrial cleaning machine. It is fairly small and uses minimal power to operate. The only problem is that I dont know where to buy one because my neighbor got me a used one from work. It has lasted a long time though, its on the third quad now.
They are available out there so keep looking!

Old 01-09-2001, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

I've got the answer guys!! I've got a magazine called Surplus Center and it has everything from winches to ammo boxes, even the actuators you're talking about. Give me a second to find it and I'll describe some they have.............ah, okay. First we have a 12VDC linear actuator that has a stroke of 6"; it draws 18 amps; it has 450 lbs of push w/780 static load. 11 3/4" in length (when retracted) and costs $79.95. The second one is the same except it draws 18 amps; has a 1000 lb thrust and 14" long; it costs $119.00. the third is the same as the first two except it has an 8" stroke and 1500 lbs of thrust;it is 17 3/4" long and costs $129.99.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric plow angeling device??