Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 250 trailblazer will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 250 trailblazer will not start

it mixes itself, what hole do you cover ? is the the ETC the choke? if it is it's manual.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ETC is electronic throttle control. I dont remeber if ours had it but it is a safety feature that would shut the bike down if the throttle stuck wide open. If it does have it make sure there is only 1/8" play in the throttle if there is any more than that the bike won't run. To adjust it slide the rubber boot on the cable back and adjust it there.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Range Rover

I think the ETC shuts off the spark to kill the engine. And, if that's the case,,, his seems to be working fine if he has spark.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

thanks guys. i'm going to try all the things you said and get back to you. thank you for taking the time to help me.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

ok i'm given up!!!!!!!! i guess i am going to find someone to help me. its been a month and i need to go riding. i dont want to touch the carb because i have no ideal what i'm doing. brando you still didnt tell me what hole you cover? does any buddy live near knoxville,tn

Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

I say check the compression. its not uncommon for it to go out. you can borrow a gauge from autozone. its easy to check. simply take out the sparkplug and screw the gauge hose in. hold the throttle wide open and turn the motor over about 4 or 5 times. service limit on them is 110 psi. anything lower, it'll need rebuilding. if its low, pour a little oil down the cylinder and test the compression again. if it goes up, then the rings are gone

Old 05-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

I live just north of Bowling Green KY but with the price of fuel,,,, that's an expensive haul. Does it even try to fire? You may have a stuck float or even a clogged fuel filter. Try tapping on the bowl of the carb with the handle of a screw driver. Don't hammer it,,, just a few firm taps.
Another test is to pull the plug, cover the hole with your finger and crank it. If your finger gets wet,,, you're getting fuel.
When mine flooded,,, it took a while to get it refired even with the fuel shut off.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Range Rover

thanks guys i will try them both, i allready tapped the bowl and didnt work, it sounds like it wants to start it backfired a couple of time, not a loud backfire just a poof and that would be it. all most like its building up compression it letting it out. would i be better off selling it and getting a fourstroke? thanks again

Old 05-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

Sounds just like mine when it's flooded but not enough fuel can give the same symptoms. I say try the compression test first as stated above. Then, try and determine if it's getting too much or not enough fuel. You could probably shut off the fuel, pull the fuel line off the carb (or carb side of the filter), then turn the fuel on. If you get a decent flow,,, then it's probably not a lean condition unless you have a carb problem.
Also, when mine is flooded,,, I hold the throttle wide open (with the fuel shut off) while cranking. After some cranking, it usually starts to cough like yours and eventually "catches it's breath" and fires up. Just make sure you have the garage doors open because it will look like you're fogging for mosquitoes ;-)

Old 05-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

try changing the plug. i know you said it was new but i fouled one out the same day i put it in. put another one in the same as the one i took out and rode 7 months without fouling out. go figure. make sure the plug wire is on good. the boot that goes on the plug is a seperate piece than the wire. the carb isn't hard to work on. not that many pieces. you can go to bikebandit.com or rockymountainatv.com and look at diagrams for your quad with exploded views of all the parts and pieces and how they fit together.

Quick Reply: 01 250 trailblazer will not start