Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 250 trailblazer will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 250 trailblazer will not start

ok i tried the easy stuff first i put my fingure over the hole and it was dry, but when i put the plug in its wet,i pulled the fuel line at the carb and got a steady flow,took the bottom of the carb off the float moves freely, so i cleaned all the lines out,and what i think was the jet, put it all togther and just got a backfire, i have not check the compression yet have to get tool tuesday and a new plug, it sounds like it wants to start. i tried turning the fuel off and starting it a couple of times and did nothing so i guess its not getting flooded?

Old 05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Range Rover

Did the bottom of the carb have fuel in it?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

yea it had alot of fuel in it.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Range Rover

ok tested the compession and i guess that 60 is not a good sign does this mean i have to replace the rings and if so is this something i can do myself with out ever done this before?

Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Range Rover

OUCH,,, that's low. Did you try pouring oil into the spark plug hole to see if the compression came back up? IMO,,, getting the engine out is harder than replacing the rings. But, you'll also need to hone the cylinder to get a cross hatch pattern. Otherwise the new rings may not seat well,,, and you'll still have low compression. It all comes down to your skill level, free time, working space, and pocket depth. Some folks who can do it choose to pay someone else because they don't want to give up their time. And, you'll need a good dry place to work because it could end up taking more than a day,,, depending on how much free time you have.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

no i forgot to put oil in, and i already took the tool back, #$%* would it make that much of a differnece or should i replace the rings anyway. thanks for your help....... oh can it foul out the plug even if it hasnt started? cause now i'm not getting spark. thanks again for all your help

Old 05-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

I'm not sure how much difference adding oil can make but regardless,,, it sounds like the head needs to come off for a peak inside the cylinder. And, yes, it can foul the plug without being started. That's what was happening to mine when the needle valve in the carb was leaking. Since the tank is higher than the engine,,, if the needle valve is leaking it will flood the engine. You could check for spark at the wire instead of at the plug. Most people insert a phillips screw driver into the plug wire and hold it close to metal (easiest place is the head). Hold it by the handle of course,,, then crank the engine. I usually just grab the wire and crank it,,, ha ha ha. I'm an electronic tech and have been shocked so many times over the years (18 to be exact) that it's doesn't bother me much any more. NOTE: I only do this with low energy ignition systems. I wouldn't dare do it with the MSD system on my drag car,,,, I'm not that crazy and don't enjoy pain [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I have pulled the head off my 300 with the engine still installed to replace a leaking head gasket,,, which could be you're problem. Do you see any evidence of oil around the head to cylinder mating surface?

Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Range Rover

no its bone dry, seeing thats its my first time should i take it in and have it done? it just sucks because i dont have the the money to fix it write now...... and yes a MSD will knock you on your a-- not fun. thanks for your help

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Range Rover

If you don't feel confident or comfortable,,, and you're not willing to risk having to take it in to the shop in pieces,,,, I'd just bite the bullet and let someone else do it. You're going to need a ring compressor & hone at minimum to do it at home. Also, a lot of shops will charge you extra if you've tried to do it yourself & failed. I can't speak to your ability so I can't really push you either way.

After working on car engines for many years, these 2 strokes seem to be a breeze as far as the top end goes. I have yet to dig into my crank case so I'm not sure about that. But, there are no valves & cams to deal with and the head is just a cylinder cap with a spark plug. The one thing that I'm not sure about is if you would have to pull the piston off the rod to get it back into the cylinder,,, or if you could leave it attached and insert it into the bottom of the cylinder???

I suppose you could invest in a manual and read throught the procedure. That may help you decide what to do???

Old 05-31-2008, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

a friend of mine was telling me its not hard to do but he fixes lawnmowers, i think i will pick a manual and read it, i rebuilt a engine once long time ago but i had alot of help, i also have a 06 scrambler that i am replacing the rear bearings, so i two atvs down.....but aleast it runs [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i put a forum in here a couple of weeks ago alot of people looked at but didnt respond to it . its called LOST ON AXLE not getting any help on that one? thanks agian samk

Quick Reply: 01 250 trailblazer will not start