Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Sportsman 500 H.O. No electric

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Sportsman 500 H.O. No electric

No it doesn't but if I had to guess I would say it is the main source of power from the battery for the electrical system. If you look at the electrical system in general, the control module, ignition ect have to get power from somewhere, if there isn't a wire running directly to the battery then I would trace the positive cable and somewhere has to be the main power wire for the electrical system. I think on some bikes it is at the starter solenoid. It shold be the first part of the wire, as it is designed to burn through if overloaded/shorted. Note they do not always burn though the isulation though, so when you find it I would meter it to check it.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Corliss

Highoctane, does it mention what the fusable link wire conrols? I have so far not seen it on my machine...I'll keep looking.

It is still under warranty, but I have no way of getting it onto my truck with it not running, so I am hoping to fix it without taking back ot the dealer.</end quote></div>

Old 06-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked the large power wires leaving the solenoid, only found one for the starter, and one that is not hooked up waiting for a winch. I did however manage to finaly get the wire plug off what I think would be the ECM, it says sure power on it. Looks like there is corrosion on the terminals...anyone know the best way on something like that? Electrical contact cleaner? a non-chemical solution?

Old 06-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, module corrosion cleaned, power coming to the module. Just checked the ignition no power coming to the ignition switch, sappose my next step is making a jumper wire from the module to the wire harness to see if there is any power coming out of the module.

Highoctane, do your diagrams show what wires go where from the module? if it has the option of a carb module, they are different I am sure mine infact says ATV CARB on it...

Old 06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Corliss

Okay, module corrosion cleaned, power coming to the module. Just checked the ignition no power coming to the ignition switch, sappose my next step is making a jumper wire from the module to the wire harness to see if there is any power coming out of the module.

Highoctane, do your diagrams show what wires go where from the module? if it has the option of a carb module, they are different I am sure mine infact says ATV CARB on it...</end quote></div>

No. The diagram is was looking at was just the parts breakdown located on the polaris website. It is unreadable.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

So this is where I am at now.... I found a plug under the snorkle and air filter intake area, has several wires going to it, plugs into like a water tight small circuit board. I unplug it, module still unplugged as well. Plug the board back in, look in the light pod and just for the hell of it unplug the 12v outlet. Plug the module back in, what's this I have a display with a flashing clock....joy! I start it up, starts no problem....I shut it down....won't start back up. back to the begining.

Okay with the 12v port unplugged, the wheeler get's power for a while, it'll stay running and not shut off. If I shut it off I have to unplug the ECM, plug it back in and there is power....Any ideas what-so-ever????

Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I've never run into this one so I have no direct experience to back this up but what little common sense I do have is saying a corrupted ECM, if I am thinking correctly, every time you unplug the ECM, you are rebooting it, (similar to rebooting your computer), somewhere during the start/run/shutoff sequence the ECM is malfunctioning and causing the problem, again just like a corrupted file on your home computer. When you unplug/plug it in, you cut power and reboot, it restarts with a clean startup program and all is good again until it comes across the corrupted file

This is all theory but it sounds good enough to actually be the problem...
Keep us updated!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Made the appointment for the dealer today, was told it would be uner warranty no matter what so, I'll udate it when I find out can't drop it till Saturday for them to look at "sometime" next week.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody have a wiring diagram for an 08 Polaris 500 HO. My father n law was just given one but all the wires have been cut.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a link to a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO pdf service manual. You can just print out the wiring schematic. Index of /ORV Manuals/Polaris/Sportsman/2008