Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Curious- Under Armor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious- Under Armor?

I would like to know what is working or hasn't worked for you!
A-frame guards? stick stoppers? skid plates? front? rear? brush guards, bumpers, smash plates?
What is worth it and what isn't?

Old 06-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My stock skidplate has been taken over foot and half downed trees, and rocks to numerous to count. It has taken all the abuse and is still fine. Scratches and dents, nothing more. I did take one of the rear "stick stoppers" out and it was only about $8 to replace. I don't go over the kind of stick like I did. I wouldn't mind some heavy aluminum ones but other than that I am happy with the stock equipment.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put front brushguard and rear bumper on my last 500, and front bumper only on the other two. The rear bumper is nice when people tail-gate, and I have been rear-ended. With a good front bumper or brushguard you can plow right over bushes and small trees to make your own go-around if the trail is blocked. Just don't back up. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I've never had any kind damage that armor would have stopped, and I'm really hard on my quads.

I've broke an old stock plastic bumper before, and would suggest at least a front bumper or brushguard for any quad, and a rear bumper too if the budget allows. Better safe than sorry. Everything else stock has worked great for me and I hit lots of stumps and rocks. I ususally straddle them instead of going around like everyone else. Sometimes they're bigger than they look. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I never did anything more to the frame/skidplate than scratch it. I even climbed a tree with no damage except a scuff mark on the brushguard.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

good point about the brush guards, I have to agree that they are almost a neccessity! We have the Pure Polaris units on both bikes!
Can I assume that the factory stick stoppers have been effective and you haven't had any boot problems?
The wifeys 300 Hawkeye came with plastic stick stoppers in front but the 400 HO has nothing to protect the boots/A-frames! Would you do just the front or front AND rear stick stoppers?

I have already added a custom aluminum skid plate to the front frame of the 400 HO which exposes the the front gear case!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have stick stoppers in the front which I feel have worked very well... I also have front and rear bumpers...Also a Jamhard radiator protector....I don't have any extra skid plates other than the stock which I think Polaris did a good job in their design...

John

Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

I have found only 1 company that makes armour for the fairly new 400HO and it is a bit on the pricey side so I am in the process of fabing my own skid plates and stck stoppers...this is one area that Polaris could have done a better job on the 400 HO

Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Moto Psycho

I never tore a CV boot, ever. The plastic guards are working good so far. I would put some kind of CV guard on both ends. The Hawkeye ones might fit the 400. Pull one off and try it. The stock plastic from some quads fits some other quads, either with or without modification. I think it was Stendori who modded a pair. Show some pics if you make new ones.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

my progess so far...fabricated out of 1/8" 6066 aluminum

Name:  P6110163.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  105.8 KB

Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Moto Psycho