Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 500HO sportsman won't start with key

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM
mdt
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 500HO sportsman won't start with key

I'm starting to pull my hair out trying to figure out why my atv will start with the recoil but not the key. When I turn the key the starter turns and sounds as though it should start but there is no spark. I've checked the resistance on the stator, charge coils, everything I can think of and they all check OK! I do have the wiring diagram but I'm not very good at reading it, but I have cheched as many of the electrical connections as I can find. The battery is fully charged and doesn't apperar to be the problem. I appreciate any ideas.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

What quad do you have?
Check on some past post's
I had a similar problem on my 500 sportsman. It turned out to be a factory recall for a routing problem of the spark plug cable. It was routed under the tank and was getting pinched and grounded to the frame.
Was supposed to be covered under a recall. local dealer never mentioned it. I got help on this forum. I guess it was a pretty common problem.
Deerkiller

Old 08-25-2008, 02:13 PM
mdt
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply!!

I have a 2002 500HO sportsman. I already replaced the plug wire. The bike will start with the recoil starter but with key there is no spark. The starter turns and the motor turns over ok but no spark.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

hummm,
you got me on this one.
I had an ecm problem but I had nothing at all when it went.
I'm sure you will get some better help here. Someone will chime in.
Good luck

Old 08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I went through the exact same thing with a 600 Grizzly! The stator checked out but believe it or not it WAS the stator! It would start with the rope but not the button. Finally it quit starting all together. Even just tried to put in a pickup, no go, took the whole stator. Strange part is I put a stator in it a couple of years ago. It had entirely different symptoms then. I just blamed the whole thing on Yamaha electrics. Guess not!

Old 08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a thought: if only starts with pull rope,no power from battery is diverted to solenoid,starter and bendix in trying to start. All power going to ignition system in recoil mode.. Could be too much load on one or more components ,diverting voltage,ONLY thing that pops in my mind at this time. I would load test battery if possible to eliminate it. Check voltage drop with voltmeter when trying to elec start. Plus check battery connections for tightness. Keep us posted! good luck

Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 PM
mdt
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas!! I was thinking about the voltage drop across the solenoid as it is pretty corroded on the outside and sometimes when I tried to start the bike the circuit breaker would trip, like it was drawing too much current. The only thing is that when I bypassed the solenoid and wired the starter directly still no spark. Anyway I think I'll try a new solenoid as it is cheaper and easier to replace that the stator. It will likely be a couple of days before I get to try this but I'll keep you updated!!

Old 09-15-2008, 09:54 AM
mdt
Weekend Warrior

Well I tried the new solenoid for the stater and no luck!! However I may have found the problem. A little while ago by bendix gear for the starter blew apart and I had to replace it. After I couldn't start the bike, same problem no spark. Eventually I thought about the pulsar coil and sure enough a piece of the bendix gear had pushed it too far back from the flywheel. After further inspection this time, I noticed that the plastic around the pulsar coil had cracked and now is actually falling off. I'm thinking that maybe the pulsar coil is no longer strong enough when power is diverted to the starter. Of note, the pulsar coil still tests Ok! I've ordered a new pulsar coil and will keep everyone updated. Thanks

Old 09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I had that. Pull start the ATV fine but electric start would not start it even though it tuned the motor over .

Turned out the Pulse coil at the fly wheel had was filthy with metal filing on it. Once I cleaned the pulse coil and gaped it and sanded the flywheel contact point all was good again.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like the key switch.

The switch has multiple contacts in it. Sounds like the ingition line is NOT hot in the start position, but is hot in the run position. that is why it will start with the pull start and not when the key is turned to the START position.

Can you find the STARTER RELAY?

Take a long wire and short from the + battery terminal to the relay coil (with the key on). Careful bike should start.

Email me copy of that wiring diagram and I can help. Wire to relay is White?Red on mine...But your is older and could be different, probably not, but maybe.

As for the coil ideas....You have TWO COILS in there...one is for the ingition, one if for lights, charging the battery etc. They are INDEPENDENT other than the ground...There are two windings on that copper thing everybody calls the coil. The are two completely seperate generating circuits. The battery has ZERO to do with spark at the plug.

Quick Reply: 02 500HO sportsman won't start with key