Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 425

I have a 96 425 magnum and it runs good at idle and full throttle.but just right off a idle like going through woods or something slow it sputters like it is flooding or something,Ihave tried everything that I know to fix this and it has not helped anything.Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it

Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 425

Magnum 425 good machines but seem to wear out carb components faster than others,mainly needle and seat,needle jet and jet needle. If havent changed needle and seat,do this first,can also drop carb needle 1 clip. Also have you checked valves,can run decent at idle,but if tight can cause problems! .006 clearance intake and exhaust. Also if still running rich, drill out fuel air screw,count turns to seat, factory set usually between 2 1/2- 3 turns. Set a 2 turns out,I have done this on older machines and have gotten good results.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 425

In my area and elevation we had several magnums do this. We would also drop the pilot jet down, replace the air jet(under the slide in the top of the carb) and insatll a bracket kit on the back of the carb if it didn't have one. I have all the numbers in my tool box so if you want them I will get them later for you. Send me a pm on the numbers. I'm ridin the harley to a private lake in the mountains tomorrow and won't around for a few days, and I'm sure by the time I get back I will have forgotten. My elevation is around 4000 feet. Whats yours?