Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can you build your own UTV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going to bash your idea or make references to your IQ but some of the posts are on track. Depending on your level of fabricating expertise, equipment available, and parts this could get pricey. A lot of folks that build rock crawlers have a lot of money in to them even doing their own frames, building engines, etc. Same would go for a custom utv. Just picking a drivetrain takes a lot of thought and $. For instance, if you wanted a rzr motor/tranny you would need those and all of the electronics to make it work along with axles and such. You have a great idea but it is kind of reinventing the wheel.

Dealt with that a lot when I used to build/sell hot rods. People wanted a cool car but balked at the price tag and many said they could build the same car much cheaper. I would offer them the build sheets and challenge them to try. I built nice daily drivers and did almost everything(paint,body,motor,etc) myself. Not a cheap thing to do.

Same for atv's. When selling my 09 Sportsman 800 people wanted a huge lifted/modded machine but didn't want to pay for it. I quickly pointed out that doing the work themselves they couldn't have bought a used 05 800 and done the same mods for my 09's asking price.

If you have the time/resources build something awesome that fits your needs but expect to spend a lot of time and $. In the end it will probably be much easier/cheaper to get a salvage machine as mentioned earlier and mod it to your liking. Big problem with that will be replacement parts. Take a-arms for instance. You could fab yourself a cool set but what happens when one breaks? Stock or aftermarket will be much quicker/easier to get.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switzomatic Hmm, I guess i'm not sure what you think I wrote...a new RZR with personalization is going to be around 20K.

For a toy that you play in the dirt with, not take to a fashion show I just cant see that it would cost more than that to build. I spend almost every day in the garage after work, I am frugal but I build nice stuff and I'm proud to use it, now with that being said....I did build a full supension bicycle that cost me $3500+ but I bought everything shiney new.

I wouldnt buy much that was new for this type of project, alot would come from auto junk yards or say one donor vehicle (say a suzuki samuri) for <$1000. to me building A arms and stuff is common, So my design would accomodate components that could be used on either side and well thought out.

If you lock yourself into a design and arent flexible in the use of alternate components or you buy new then yes it would be very hard to do it cheaper than a stock model.

I do see where your coming from and with a history of "Custom" vehicles and modifying ATV's as customized for resale, then yes everything is new and perfect and expensive.

but a well built handsome but functional ride with very good performance is way doable for less than $20K

Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know all too well the cost of customizing a RZR. Have almost $20k into mine. Samuri would be a great donor vehicle and by the sounds of it you have the skills to fab your own stuff. That would be much cheaper than building something along the lines of a RZR. If you live in an area where those kinds of builds can be driven that would be fun but you talked about weight so that may still be an issue using that platform. We are stuck here in MN because something like that would not be allowed on the trails. There are a few offroad areas available but involve some travelling. Guess in my opinion it is more practical for me to buy a RZR, customize it to my needs, and still have no licensing/place to ride isuues. You may have a different situation where you live so I say go for it and post some sweet action pics!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Trailblazer

yes you can do it but its not going to be cheap if you do it right.I am building my 2cd rock crawle from the ground up and its a chore.I have over $4000 just in a tube bender,plasma cutter and welder and thats just the basic tools you will need.Me and a buddy are about to split buying some cnc equipment anfor those parts that nobody makes,and you dont even want to know what that cost.I think some one else had the right idea about finding a trashed or salvaged on so you will have all the basics to start with like axles,frame,steering wheel and then ad your custom motor or whatever.good luck ps.you buy the parts and I will help you put it togetherName:  durhamtowmandbuggy001.jpg
Views: 17844
Size:  83.8 KB
Name:  durhamtowmandbuggy004.jpg
Views: 15716
Size:  94.9 KB

Old 03-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default home built UTV

I wanted a utv so I bought an old Polaris trail boss that was Junked. then I rebuild the motor checked out the gear box and built mine for around $1000.00. But I had to get creative like modifing a rack and pinion out of an old minivan. scorunging a fuel tank out of an old jet ski ect.... you can buy all the stuff to build one but if you can find somthing that works it sure saves the $$$$$. I just wish I would of put in a little bigger engine than the 350l two stroke. its ok but moe power is always nice! I put the pics on the atv pics page if you want to see.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

you could always get a used/salvaged one and do something like this with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBOLrZ6jGZ8