Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman bogs down with air box installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris Sportsman bogs down with air box installed

I would check the jets pilot should be 42.5 main 160

Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is the pilot screw in the bowl or on the outside? every thing in the bowl should be tight correct????? I have a 96 sportsman 500 doing the same thing pull the air box off and it runs perfect. I turned the pilot jet out 2 1/4 and no change!! Im not to far from parting this thing out.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAD SAME PROBLEM-IT SEEMS THAT WHEN I PUT AIR BOX ON MU UNIT WOULD NOT RUN--COME TO FIND OUT THAT WHEN I SAT DOWN ON SEAT WITH AIR BOX ON IT WOULD INTERFERE WITH CABLE GOING TO CARB-WOULD RUN FINE WITH BOX ON WITHOUT ME SITTING ON SEAT-SOUNDS CRAZY BUT THAT WAS WHAT WAS WRONG-TIGHTENED UP CABLE SO IT WOULD NOT HIT BOX

Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Pan64FL,

Did you ever find out what the problem was? I am having the exact same issue.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default 425 magnum problem

Anyone on this thread find a solution? I have a 425 Magnum with the same problem. Idles fine, bogs/backfires with airbox installed (with or without filter in it). Runs like hell with no airbox connected to the carb. Cleaned the carb several times, replaced the gas, checked valve lash and cam lobes (all were good). Checked compression, it's appx 65psi cold with a slow crank/weak battery. Pushing the over-ride button makes no difference at all in forward gears.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by i8amm
Anyone on this thread find a solution? I have a 425 Magnum with the same problem. Idles fine, bogs/backfires with airbox installed (with or without filter in it). Runs like hell with no airbox connected to the carb. Cleaned the carb several times, replaced the gas, checked valve lash and cam lobes (all were good). Checked compression, it's appx 65psi cold with a slow crank/weak battery. Pushing the over-ride button makes no difference at all in forward gears.

I would charge the battery and get a better reading on the compression. ive checked stuff cold and got almost good (normal readings).

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Check the small sponge in the bottom of your Air Box.

Originally Posted by ftwflh
I would check the jets pilot should be 42.5 main 160

Pull out and try running with the sponge out and the box lid on. I had nothing but spittin and studderin and backfire after half throttle. I took this sponge out and it runs like brand new. I went through and replaced the whole carb insides and spark plug. Then i just removed the sponge filter and bam! Runs like a charm. Hope this can help all you guys out!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs up Try running it with the entire air box assembly installed

Hello, just joined the forum. I have been rebuilding a 2000 Polaris SP500 and had the same problem. I played around with it for a while and had sputtering at half throttle and beyond with the air box installed with or without the foam air filter on. I decided to put the air box cover on and see what would happen, and it runs like new. You may not have the same problem as I did but it may help a few others out there. By the way the machine is entirely stock.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

any updates?

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman bogs down with air box installed