Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman bogs down with air box installed

Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Polaris4
No there is no ethanol in high test gas.
There is here. It's 10% ethanol. I saw one gas station about 150 miles away from me that sells "recreational fuel". It has no ethanol but costs about $1 more per gallon. I've never seen it at any other gas station.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Ethanol is all you can find down here also.Ethanol free stations are few and far between for most folks.Many marinas do have ethanol free fuel,at least they do down here close to me, but they want an arm,leg and your first born child for a gallon of the stuff.Cheaper to just buy a good grade of recommended fuel and treat it.Just an ounce in most cases will treat several gallons. Double dose if it sits up during the winter months and crank em up every now and then.Helps preserve fuel and keeps fuel lines from being eaten up quicker.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want non ethanol gas try finding it near a marina if you have one around. There are so many lakes here in northern Indiana that many stations carry it. It does cost a little bit more but only about 40-50 cents more per gallon. A big handful of older boat motors (pre-ethanol) wont run properly or are completely destroyed by Ethanol. So it is available but there probably needs to be a demand for it.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by murphyismyname
I have a similar issue with my 97 Magnum 425. The only difference is that if I put my hand partially over the air intake hole after everything is put together, it will rev up again. Does anyone else have the same thing happen? Its like its just getting too much air. As long as I just block a little bit of the air intake hose, it will rev up and run just fine...
Mine does the exact same thing did anyone figure this one out?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by vSmito
Mine does the exact same thing did anyone figure this one out?
What have you done to your machine? Have you rebuilt the carb,checked/adjusted the valves,checked the exhaust cam lobe for wear?,a common problem on these models also.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Sealing the airbox fixed it!

Well, I'm dumbfounded... Sealing the airbox fixed the rev problems.

I had the exact same problem as many others. I would remove the airbox, tube and all and could rev up my 06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye just fine. As soon as I even added the filter tube (with no filter) it would bog down after about 1/2 throttle. Everything seemed to say that it was getting too much gas and not enough air, so I never even thought to try to limit the amount of air.

I am new to this wheeler, in fact this is my first Polaris. The person who had it before had an aftermarket carb and a ton of holes drilled into the airbox lid (I guess they thought more is better, who can blame them... more air, more fuel, more power!)

I replaced the carb with an OEM and it did the same thing. I was going crazy! Checked the timing, checked the cam, I was ready to dump it back on craigslist and get something else.

Sorry for posting a year after the last post, but I wanted to give another shout out to the fix and a huge thumbs up to you guys posting this stuff.

Great forum, guys! It saved the day and a ton of money!

Old 04-25-2016, 09:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One of the things people overlook when working on carbs. Almost all Polaris models have to have the air box and filter installed and box sealed tight to run right. They'll just lean bog with out it.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Where to get the power?

One thing I noticed, when running the hawkeye 300 with no intake/filter I could get about 45mph top speed, now I can only get 37... Noticeable power decrease as well.

Any suggestions for more power without the obvious side affects of running without an intake & filter?

Perhaps opening up the box slightly and jetting up a bit? Or will I run into the same problem again?

Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Stock jetting is the same on the Hawkeye 300 as well as the Sportsman 300. 140 main jet,45 pilot. Check that you have the correct jetting in the carb you replaced. If anything sounds like jetting may be a tad rich. Even if you have the correct jetting you can drop down on the main jet by one or two sizes(137.5,135) and see if it helps.Always plug chop to see if it's lean after rejetting.Plenty of jets to choose from here.https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_ca...arge_round.htm

Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

So I joined this forum just to say, this fix worked for me as well. Found a 2002 Scrambler 500 for $400 bucks locally, guy had "tried" to fix it. I got it, threw a new carb on it, fixed his wiring mess he made for himself, and it fired right up. Ran like a top, but would not rev out. With the airbox off it, ran great. I was sure it was a bad carb, ordered another one, swapped it, played with the mixture screw nothing. Started looking around. Found this thread, and for the hell of it took a 99 cent plastic organizer from home depot cut it so it fit the box, use some rubber trim seal I had laying around, and bungied it down (guy I bought it from lost the lid). Jumped on the bike, and well you know the rest, runs like a raped ape. Just goes to show you, 30 years experience owning a shop, and I was dumbfounded. For others that it will run good with no airbox on it at all, this is the fix...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman bogs down with air box installed