side panel deflectors? Are they really
worth it?

Regards,

R'

Old 12-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide for plowing technique?

I have a 60" Razor blade. I haven't seen a need for the rubber flap on the top since most of my plowing involves rolling it off the sides. I have watched out really nicely.

Now those side flaps, I only found one area Fresh plow about 10" deep that I thought 1 of those would have been nice on the outboard side. I had some snow coming off that lead edge. I wonder though if that would be a hindrance to moving large amounts of snow over distance on the trailing edge or the side I am pushing the snow off to.

Just a thought.

Oh those little rubber springy markers that mount to the edges of your plow are really nice in working in close quarters. I can just sit on the quad and keep track of where my edges are. I noticed last winter that without those I was constantly standing up while plowing to check where my edges were.

Expecting another 2-3 inches tonight and 8-10 inches over Christmas eve.
Been using my Wife's 500X2 for plowing as I have my Swisher bucket on the 800. May have to change that. The 500 does fine, but my 800 has so much more low end grunt it is a lot easier to plow heavy stuff and the 800 actually turns a little shorter in awd.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rubber deflecters are the #1 plow accessory to get. If you have a bastard size 50", 52", etc. you may have to buy a 60" deflector and cut it off. Most are eiter 48" or 60". My CMP plow was 50" with 2 side shields that made it 54". I put the 60" deflector on and cut it even with the side shields so it angled out from 50" to 54". When I got my 52" Glacier plow I cut an inch off each end of the deflector, turned it around and drilled 5 new holes in it to put it on the new plow. It's only 50 in the front instead of 52" but I didn't have to buy another 60" deflector and cut it to fit. Redneck engineering at it's finest. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

If you only plow with the blade <u>straight</u>, 2 side shields work GREAT. I could plow in half the time or less with them. The blade can still be angled but sometimes the side that's farther back will catch and jack-knife the quad. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] If you have one side sheld you can plow straight OR angle the blade one way. If you plow to the right, put the side shield on the left side. Without side shields you can plow all 3 ways but a lot of snow rolls off both sides when the blade is straight, so you have to make more passes. I put about 10 miles on my ATV plowing already and haven't been over 1/2 a block from my house. If I had anything better to do, like go to work, I would get the side shields so I could plow with a third or half as many passes and get it over with.

Remeember practice makes perfect, and don't be afraid to experiment. Try every technique you can think of. What works best one day may not be the best the next time. And like John said, the best thing is not to let it get deep enough that you have to skim half of it off the top or only plow a narrow width at a time. If I know it's goint to snow a foot I'll go out and plow before it hits 6".

Old 12-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made this video today. Lots of good tips were given already, sorry I missed out on this. I've been plowing on average 250 inches of snow per season for the last three seasons with my Moose plow. First two seasons I had the 50" straight blade, this year I got the 60" County blade.

This video will help you get started with "stacking" snow, which is a must if you get a lot in a season, or if you don't have much area to put it in. Hope you guys enjoy the video. PS; watch it in high quality, and rate and comment if you can...TIA!!

Youtube video

ADDED: Don't understand why I can't embed the video.