1999 sportsman 500 idles great, wont accelerate

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 1999 sportsman 500 idles great, wont accelerate

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hesborn2fly

Does anyone have any tips on getting this timed perfectly. I dont have the new cam yet but just reading through my manual I see many ways to screw this up.</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] LOOK at my earlier post!! ALSO can use lower crank sprocket marks(which I use instead of "T" mark when rebuilding complete motor) along with cam index sprocket pin STRAIGHT up center of head to align timing. But stator has to be pulled and you may not want to do that.JUST mark the "T" with tire chalk,white paint,etc,turn to where close to timing hole in cover will be,slip on cover ,move until mark aligns with mark on cover AND DON"T move crank,then just align cam with index mark straight up and slip sprocket and chain on(sprocket can be turned to align with index pin while chain is held tight without MOVING crank. Hope this helps. Just study your manual a little more if still not sure! Good luck opt

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright that doesnt sound to bad, this manual just leaves a few holes when reading it but I think Ive finally connected the dots., Thanks

Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Please keep us updated as how this turns out. I am very interested.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

will do, Im still waiting on the camshaft, should be here Friday

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 AM
Trailblazer

Did you order part number 3086212?

Also, when you pulled your valve cover off did your exhaust valves open and close when the motor was turned over? Reason I ask is b/c I have exact issues as you but when I pulled my valve cover, I noticed the intake and exhaust valves were opening and closing. I reset my valve clearance but it did not help me at all. Next is pulling out the cam and measuring in hand... just waiting on hearing if your problem is cured or not.

Any chance you can get some pictures of the timing marks? Or where the window is that you view the location of the marks. I think I have located them, but my clymer manual makes it somewhat confusing.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can use a flashlight and extendable mirror to check exhaust cam lobe when you remove valve cover,pull recoil until intake rises,then look straight down between both intake rocker arms and if exhaust lobe is eliptical then its ok,if rough or NO LOBE at all then you have a problem! Advisable to check exhaust rocker arm also as it get a lot of wear from cam (I usually replace cam and exhaust rocker arm. Timing window is 14 mm bolt at top of recoil housing,have to turn engine slowly until intake rises,then pull slowly until you see the "T" line up with the point mark in recoil housing(best to use a flash light since sometimes hard to see) If recoil is removed then outline "T" mark as noted above then will be easier to see.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

When I pulled the valve cover off I didnt mess with checking if the valves were opening. I went straight for the rocker arm assenbly and pulled those four bolts, then you can see the can lobes fairly well. Turn the engine over and you will either see all three lobes looking about the same height, or your notice that the two outside intake valves are normal height but the center exhaust lobe is ground down most likely to nothing, which is what mine looked like. I could tell immediatly it wasnt right. As far as the timing marks, there is a bolt on top of your crank cover (pullstart) that you can unscrew and look down inside with a flashlight to see the flywheel. pull the recoil starter slowly unti you see the timing marks viewable in the hole. May be a little hard if the flywheel is rusty but they are there. I'll let ya know how things turn out but I'm pretty confident she will pur like a kitten.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

I just pulled the rocker arm assem and got a good view of my cam. From what I can see, the cam looks good. I do however see some wear on the cam and rocker arm where that small ball makes contact between the cam and rocker arm, where the oil comes through the cam but this wear is minimal and is only about 1/32"deep and 1/8" wide. Still in all the cam looks like it has a exhaust lobe with the same height as the intake lobes. I dont know what to think now. This polaris is really testing my patience. What should I do now?
The bike starts perfect, idles great, and falls on its face as you apply throttle, and backfires through carb, and wants to die out. It also fouls plugs after 20 minutes of trying to keep it running past idle.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: goodblasson

I just pulled the rocker arm assem and got a good view of my cam. From what I can see, the cam looks good. I do however see some wear on the cam and rocker arm where that small ball makes contact between the cam and rocker arm, where the oil comes through the cam but this wear is minimal and is only about 1/32"deep and 1/8" wide. Still in all the cam looks like it has a exhaust lobe with the same height as the intake lobes. I dont know what to think now. This polaris is really testing my patience. What should I do now?

The bike starts perfect, idles great, and falls on its face as you apply throttle, and backfires through carb, and wants to die out. It also fouls plugs after 20 minutes of trying to keep it running past idle.</end quote></div>

Valve clearance at .006 intake and exhaust? Also if fouling plugs could be carb related,too much fuel,needle and seat?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

You said its backfiring through the carb. When you try to give it the gas with the air box lid on securely does it try to blow the lid off even slightly. If so this is an indication that your valve timing is incorrect or there is a malfuction which is for whatever reason allowing exhaust pressure to be forced back through the intake and out your carb. This is what happens when the exhaust lobe wears off and the valves dont open enough or at all in some cases. Also does it run on choke?

Quick Reply: 1999 sportsman 500 idles great, wont accelerate