Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 no lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 no lights.

I bought a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500ho and it had no lights at that time.I have been working on some other issues which I won't get into.I decided I would try and figure out why the lights won't work.I have replaced the battery,axcel joint,cv boot wheel bearings,bendix ,and tires.I am also having trouble with the starter not engaging the bendix.I went to the dealer and asked some questions the guy asked me if the battery was good I said it was new and I took it back to walmart and they tested it to see if it was ok they said it was good.
This is my question if the battery is not perfect will it make the lights stop working.I think if the battery is not perfect it won't turn the starter to the point wear it engages the bendix.I am going to use jumper cables and run them to a lawn tractor battery which is a much bigger battery just to see if it engages the bendix and see if the lights come if not it looks like I will have to get the tester out.I also replaced the bulbs on the brake light and high beams.I am wondering is there any fuses that would cause no high or low beams or relays there does not seem to be any in the wiring diagram.I anyone has any info good or bad as to the source of the problem it would greatly be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

unless all the bulbs are burnt out i would say even w/ a weak battery you would still have some lights. maybe the lighting coil in the stator is bad?? also check that there is good grounds. just an idea.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

I was having a better look at the wiring for the high and low beams I pulled the cover in front of the head light bucket and took the screws out around the bucket to look at the wiring.There is a connector that has 3 purple wires that is not connected and there are 3 green that are not connected and 1 brown.From the wiring diagram one green goes to the headlight switch the other 2 goes to each low beam light.I don't see anything they plug into they look like factory connectors but there does not seem to be anything there to plug them into.I'm going to look around and see if there are any other guys with a 2002 sportsman that could take a look and explain a few things.I appreciate your help if you have any ideas let me know.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

I just talked to a friend of mine about your problem and he tells me that it might be a switch problem check to see if there is power going into the switch and turn it on then see if power is coming out he also mentioned something about circut breakers on the quad he couldnt remember if that one had them or fuses see if this helps get back to us and go from there

Old 02-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I would check the switch first......No high or low beam ......Switch would be the place to start.....
Is the Quad kept outside all the time?
.....Caper................

Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer

I bought the atv and keep it inside but the previous owner I would say he might have been leaving it outside.I've only ridden maybe all of 10mins and I purchased it I would say 8 months ago . I am having a bad experience.It's not the bikes fault it's the previous owners fault for the neglect.I am trying to not let it get to me but it is if I don't get things going by the spring the bike will be sold.Sunday I'm going to give it another try.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

I fixed the lighting problem there was a brake in a wire going to the switch,clean a ground wire,and took the lighting low/ high switch apart that did not seem to be working felt gritty when switching it to the different settings.I turned everything on and then there was light LOL.I'm still worried a bit on what the other wires go to.There is 3 wires that are purple that look like they are coming from under the tank and all go into one ,then there is 3 green that go into one,and then there is a brown wire which is not connected I know that it is coming from a round coil or relay I'm not exactly sure the location is under the front cover close to the bucket awd hub coil?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seem to like working on the Quad yourself.........Which is great IMO.......
I think a Factory Polaris Service Manual will help you out alot.......Now and later down the road....
The wires and colors will all be in there for you to trace.....Caper......