Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default Sportsman 700 coolant leak

just bought 02 700. changed all fluids and filters. inspecting drive belt and found fresh antifreeze in cover and behind drive clutch. Is there a seal behind the backing plate that could leak and cause this? I'm reasonably sure (90%) that I did not spill, especially way back there!
I have an O&M and service/repair manual and am still unsure.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mnbearhunter

just bought 02 700. changed all fluids and filters. inspecting drive belt and found fresh antifreeze in cover and behind drive clutch. Is there a seal behind the backing plate that could leak and cause this? I'm reasonably sure (90%) that I did not spill, especially way back there!

I have an O&M and service/repair manual and am still unsure.</end quote></div>

Could have leak at thermostat o-ring and seeping down, also at return hose clamp itself at thermostat or possibly sensor below thermostat cover. Clean engine and check while at idle for leaks
Whats right is whats left after you do everything else wrong (Robin Williams) RIP
Don't pick a fight with an old man,if he can't fight he'll just shoot ya!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer
2007 Polaris Hawkeye 300
My Garage

I'll have to check that on mine as well... It doesn't seem to visibly leak but the coolant overflow tank needs topped off regularly. I haven't been able to figure out where its going to...
Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

My '03 600 leaked a little drop of antifreeze at the bottom of the water pump cover and was hard to see. I found it by rubbing my hand underneath the housing cover and it came up wet.The cover for that year was plastic with a metal cover and the replacement was a solid piece of aluminum with a better gasket. I have seen that similar leak in almost every 02-03 sportsman. Worth a look....
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

When I stripped off all the plastic to inspect the unit I noticed the inside of the clutch cooling duct was coated with "wet goo". I noted it mentally but hoped it was just "mud". Now I'm thinkin coolant leak. As long as I have it stripped I'll get out the high intensity lights and wait for the inevitable drip. This poor thing has 4100 miles, 257 hrs and appears to never have seen a dealer since new. (TSB's not even done) It's ok. I'm an old hand at rescue 911. I'm a loyal & proud Polaris owner. I've ridden all the others and will stick with Polaris. I picked up two brand new Pure Polaris belts yesterday for $10 each. Also got a new Kolpin Bucket Hugger, Kolpin Soft rear rack pack, Kolpin Camo mitts and two new gaskets for the clutch housing, all for $115.00! The tires are fairly worn and dont meet my needs so I'm lookin for a set of all around snow/mud tires. Used preferably. Sounds like alot of guys like to get new so I hope to relieve them of the "old" set.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Pump cover is plastic. Someone has tried sealing with Hitemp RTV. I check it and see "wetness" but no leak per se. I'll make a planned purchase to replace and as soon as I see trouble I'll be ready.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

The wetness is how mine was too. It is a slow process but it seems as though I was always adding fluid in the overflow. Some that I have seen have a small drip hanging on the bottom.The new one I bought from the dealer is all aluminum and has a better gasket. Easy to replace. My concern was if coolant is getting out, other water and debris might get in. Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Good point about the in/out of junk. So, the aluminum cover doesnt have a weep hole?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

I'd have to check again but I don't remember seeing one........
Old 02-27-2009, 02:46 PM

Tags
2003, 600, 700, carburetor, coolant, drip, hole, leak, polaris, pump, removal, spilling, sportsman, tool, twin, water, weep