Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

95 Magnum 425 No Spark

Old 05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Magnum 425 No Spark

Hi everyone, new to this forum and requesting help. Have a 95 Magnum 425 4x2 fighting a no spark condition. The only way it will start is with a charger pack attached to battery. Have gone thru electrical system and found the exciter coil of stator had high resistance according to specs. Replaced that and still no go. Have checked grounds, connections, etc. with nothing obvious found. Battery seems in good condition, certainly turns engine over fast enough to fire in my opinion. Only thing found was a corroded positive cable to solenoid but no change when replaced. Just got this thing and was running fine. Shut her down and now this. Spark box maybe or is there something I have missed? I can tell you now when checking for spark, when I shut the ignition switch off, I will get a spark then. Only thing I really have not tried yet is checking the wiring at the junction block on the LH side of the steering shaft. Have not done that because it is such a jumbled mass of wiring, want to make sure I did not cross anything up there. The manual sure does not help much with that area. Anyway, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, Neil

Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

You might want to check to make sure the kill switch isn't bad. I had that problem on my Magnum and I wiggled the kill switch and it fired up.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

i know how ya feel on the wiring mess. I mustve had something fry on my 94 400L cause my AWD wires are all fried up. Definitly get a wiring diagram before doing anything but it sounds ot me also to be something killswitch related

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, come to think of it, the kill switch did not shut off the engine when I did have it fired up with the battery pack, someone previously had cut the brown ground wire going to the chassis ground up by the spark box. The new stator had this ground wire on it and is now installed. Maybe the kill switch was bad afterall, but I still can't figure out why it will run with the charger pack on the battery. God I hate electrical! Thanks for your response!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

I hate electrical too. Just finished a stator replacment and now onto a jumbled mess of wiring replacement. Good luck with the kill switch sitiation!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hello everyone, here is an update on the wiring mess. Found a badly corroded red wire on the voltage regulator and also a broken black wire on the kill switch. Fixed those and still no spark unless on the charger. Somewhat confused on the manuals wiring diagram, it shows 4 wires on the kill switch, blk, brn, red/wht, and wht/red. My switch only has the blk and brn which is easy enough to understand what they do, but only red wires in that harness go to the start switch and I don't see any internal connection between the 2. I'm still stumped unless the starter is drawing too much power and not getting enough to the ignition system, I dunno, any thoughts? Thanks a lot for your previous responses! Neil

Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

That might be the problem but im not too sure. It might be sucking too much power and not getting enough to the starter. Does it do one spark then none or jsut none at all? If one spark then none its the killswitch. Did u maybe try a new battery? If its on the charger i think its basically like jump starting it.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you could bypass the kill switch if you had to just to eliminate that as a cause. i beleave it would be a simple ground out type switch, but not 100% sure.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies. Here's what we have, replaced the battery and starter both, went through the starter wiring and fixed a bad positive cable. From there I had good spark with the plug pulled out and grounded. Installed the plug and used another new plug grounded to head and no spark again unless on the heavy duty charger. I have gone through all the wiring and connections that I could find. Found a broken wire on the kill switch, a badly corroded connector at the starter solenoid activator circuit, and also a badly corroded connector on the red wire going to the voltage regulator. Same results, all this was done before replacing the starter. Also have removed all wiring from the frame junction box and cleaned out and cleaned connectors there also. This thing just will not give a spark with the plug installed unless on the charger, and you can tell the difference in rpm between charger and no charger. I am almost ready to check the compression release and see if it is working. I am almost out of ideas here. Thanks again for your replies!

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

try cranking with your key switch half way between on and off, on some models that kills electricity to rev limiters and safety kill switches and allows spark to travel but things like a fan and 4wd hubs wont work, might help ya narrow things down to kill switches or out of adjustment source coil gaps giving weak spark.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 Magnum 425 No Spark