Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Reply Share this with your friends
Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Garage is empty, add now

Default What Oil should I use in the Transmission?

I noticed tonight that the oil in the Transmission of my 1996 explorer 300 2-cycle is looking pretty bad. I have been trying to catch up with the Maintenance on it since I bought it last fall.

I don't think I am going to have time to go to our Polaris dealer this week since he is about 1 1/2 hours away. I would like to change it before Friday night as my son and a friend of his are taking the 4 Wheelers out for a day of riding leaving on Saturday morning.

We do have a Artic-Cat and a Honda dealer in town so if I had to I could get oil from them if I just new what to get. I also could go to one of the Auto Parts stores and get what I need.

I looked at the owners manual on line for a 1998 300 explorer and the only thing it listed is Polaris Premium Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (PN2871478 - 12 oz. bottle.

So if someone would be kind enough to tell me what Kind of Oil I need from either the Artic-Cat or Honda dealer or the Auto parts store that would be great.

I did not know to much about ATV'S when I bought this one but I guess it was not in as good as shape as I thought it was at the time. Now when I buy my next one I think I know what to look for.

I guess you could say I am learning the hard way about ATV's

Thanks in Advance for any information on Transmisson oil anyone can give me
Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

my 96 manual says 10W 30, I believe when i changed it i used mobil 1 10w30. (synthetic) I think!
05 Polaris Scrambler
2004 3500 Ram crew Cummins.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to ftwflh

Would not recomend anny type of motor oil in the tranny.This is more of a chain case.If you cant get the Polaris AGL find another chaincase lube such as Amsoil.It need to be thin to keep the chain cool and lubed.
2001 400 Sportsman traded for a CJ5 Jeep
2004 Victory TC Cruiser
1972 FLH Harley (my pride and joy of 20+yrs)
Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

does your dip stick have the metal or plastic.. tward the back or in the middle?

on my 99 its a yellow plastic dip stick.. that is like ftw said gear oil.. i run 80 -90 in mine.. but if you have the metal dip stick then i cant remember what i ran in my 94.. i would call someone that works on them.. not a dealer..
Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

this is right from my manual.

Recommended lubes and fluids.

engine
2 stroke models.

transmission oil

type.........motor oil,API grade SG or SH
viscosity....10W-30.

counterbalance fluid (dont think they have them on the 300?)

SAE10W-30 engine oil.

??????????? I just use what the manual says (right or wrong) ?????
05 Polaris Scrambler
2004 3500 Ram crew Cummins.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Garage is empty, add now

96 models were the first year to use AGl,before 96, gear cases used a non synthetic nasty looking graphite type trans fluid. Looked nasty going in and nastier at draining! You can use AGL or any lube suitable for CHAIN CASE transmissions! Think I still have 2 1/2 gallon jug of the stuff somewhere!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via Yahoo to ftwflh

Quote:
Originally Posted by old polaris tech View Post
96 models were the first year to use AGl,before 96, gear cases used a non synthetic nasty looking graphite type trans fluid. Looked nasty going in and nastier at draining! You can use AGL or any lube suitable for CHAIN CASE transmissions!
Thats what I was trying to say.Hey I have a few qts of the old mineral spirts chain lube around that I run in the older machines I service.
2001 400 Sportsman traded for a CJ5 Jeep
2004 Victory TC Cruiser
1972 FLH Harley (my pride and joy of 20+yrs)
Old 06-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Reply Share this with your friends

Tags
300, 330, agl, atv, auto, boss, gear, gearcase, lube, oil, polaris, trail, trans, transmission, xplorer