Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Flywheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flywheel removal

I am trying to remove my flywheel from my 2000/2001 Sportsman 500. I have the harmonic balancer puller, but it seems no matter how hard I crank down on it, the flywheel will not move. I am even using a pneumatic ratchet and airgun. I have also tried a 4 foot cheater bar.

I have removed the center nut and washer. Is there anything else that needs to be removed. I have pushed it to the point where it feels like something is about to break.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not good... i had a sled do that to me before.. hour after hour....i known this way is wrong but hey....wtf it worked for me...i put the puller on and snugged it up then i got out the torches... heated up the balancer around the crank and then with a mallet i started to tap the center nut on the puller tightened more keep it up for a bit but it did pop off...remind you that was my last resort and i was rebuilding the motor

Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider

I am just trying to see what is going on behind there. I think I may have a corroded connection to the stator. I am afraid that torching it would cause more damage than I already have.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

spray some penetrating oil on it. if you can tilt the bike to the left a little to let that oil seep down between the crank and the flywheel. let it sit over night then come back with the puller. small light taps on the end of the bolt of the puller and it should pop off.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

Well, no luck so far with this. I have tried the penetrating oil, I did filp it up on it's side. I then used some putty to build a little cup around the bolt and let it soak for two days in the oil. I tried heating up the flywheel and tapping it with a hammer. I do not know what else to do to get this thing off. It stubbornly refuses to budge. I am about to just put it all back together and sell the thing for whatever I can get. I am getting a new one soon anyway. I juts hate to dump it off on someone knowing there is a problem with it.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Tighten the puller down, and then give the puller bolt a GOOD smack with a hammer. It'll come. Doc

Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I am using a 4 Lb. Sledge to tap it with. There really is no way to lightly hit something with a 4 Lb. sledge. Maybe I am using the wrong type of puller. This is the one I am using.

Is this correct, or should I be using something different?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

That'll work, give it a good rap. If you notice the bolt on the puller has a big head on it just for that reason. Don't be afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I just spent about an hour trying to get it out, still nothing. Won't even budge, but I did break the puller. I heated it up till stuff was smoking pretty good behind it, then sprayed penetrating oil all over it. I let it sit for about 30 minutes with frequent applications of more penetrating oil, then I heated it up again and cranked down good with the puller. I hammered it good with the 4 Lb sledge until I was afraid I would bust something in the crank case that would be expensive and difficult to fix, then I put my 4 foot cheater bar over the breaker bar and had a buddy hold the puller stationary while I cranked it. One of the 3 bolts holding it to the flywheel broke so I replaced it. I then tried again and the center bolt, the big black one I have been tapping on, crumbled at the head.

I am going to return it tomorrow as it has a 30 day warranty. Any other suggestions? I am thinking of some type of slide hammer puller maybe. Maybe something like this.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Well, no go so far with the slide hammer either. I had to rig up a special jig to get it on there, as the axle puller that came with it was to big. I think my next step is going to be to hook it up to the trailer ball on my truck and give it a good yank. Any better ideas before I go this route?