Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Changing brake pads on a 98 Sport 400?

Old 02-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has a 98 Sport 400.

How do I know when it is time to change the front brake pads? And, where do I check the rear brake pads (there is no rear rotor)?

How difficult is it to change these pads? If you have the knowledge and time, could you please give me a general step-by-step direction how to change both the front and rear brakes?

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2001, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

rob

The front and rear brakes are easy to change. There is no real good way of telling if the pads are worn down without taking them off and checking the thickness of the pads. Fortunately, it is pretty easy to do. I will do the best I can, it has been almost a year since I last tore into my Magnum's brakes, but I can give you the general points.

On the front, jack up the front of the machine and remove the front tire. On the brake caliber, there should be two bolts on the caliber holding it onto the wheel assembly. Remove these bolts and the caliber will come off of the wheel assembly (except for the brake line). You should be able to inspect the brake pads from here. If they are worn, you will need to obtain replacements. Do not buy the Polaris brand. I would get some HD brake pads from Dennis Kirk or call Shadetree Outdoors at 1-888-Shadetree. They will set you up with sintered metal pads. Anyway, on the front caliber, you need to remove the brake pads by sliding the two pins out and sliding the brake pads out (this procedure is a little fuzzy in my memory). Once you look at the caliber and understand that you need to slide the pins out to remove the pad, it will come to you. Clean up your caliber and brake rotor and reassemble.

The rear brake on the 98 model is up near the front sprocket. On the non-concentric models, the brake rotor is attached to the front sprocket. Remove the right rear wheel and look toward the sprocket and you will see the caliber. Remove the two bolts holding it on and remove the caliber. If the pads need replacing, you will also have to remove the two pins to remove the pads. I also remove the top retaining spring and clean the whole thing up. One of the secrets on this old style brake system is the mechanical foot brake. To replace the pads, it is easiest to back the adjustment bolt all the way back and readjust once the caliber is remounted on the rotor. Hope all of this helps. Post a response or email me if you have any questions. I have only average mechanical skills and I have no trouble replacing the pads on my Polaris.

Old 02-22-2001, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider

The rule of thumb for brake pads are, if they are less than the thickness of a dime, they need replaced.

After you have the caliper loose, you need to take a large C-clamp, and push the cup back in, this will allow you to remove the pads without messing with the two pins. Like Magnum said, clean everything up with brake parts cleaner. Before you install the new pads, spray the caliper down with WD-40.

I'm not sure about the rear pads. I have a 99, and the rear brake assembly was changed quite a bit.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

Magnumudman and Quadfather:

Excellent step-by-step advice. I will try to make the repairs this weekend.

By the way, what is the difference between a concentric and non-concentric? What does it do? How do I know which one I have? Is one better than the other, etc.?

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Rob

Prior to the 1999 model years, Polaris chain drives were considered non-concentric. This means that the gearbox and the rear swingarm were not in line. Thus, the chain would be tighter as the suspension was depressed. Since I think you have the non concentric drive, face the rear of the machine and depress the suspension. You should notice that the chain will tighten as the swingarm moves up and aligns with the gearbox. Beginning in 1999, Polaris began offering chain drives with a concentric drive. The main purpose of the concentric drive was to line up the gearbox and the swingarm whereas the chain tightness would not flucuate with the suspension travel. After studying your machine with nonconcentric drive, go to the dealer and look at the new chain drive models. You will notice the gearbox is farther back. Also you will notice that the rear brake caliber on the concentric models is on the rear axle whereas it is on the front sprocket on the nonconcentric models. Hope this explanation helps.

Old 02-22-2001, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

MagnumMudMan:

You are right. I went by my local dealer and noticed the difference. I definately have the non-concentric drive model.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Concentric swing arm removal

I have a polaris 400 sport 1999, the swing arm broke and i need to remove it, I got as far as elevating the atv, removed the rear wheels, and now I dont know how to remove the swing arm is there any one that could explain pls, which tools are needed and what are the steps, It is a Concentric swing arm.

Last edited by Paola_a0207; 06-13-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: for got som information
Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default paola_a0207

I have a 400 polaris sport 1999, the swing arm broke and I need some help. what are the tools I need and the steps for proper removal of the concentric swing arm.