Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question K&N air filter

I recently picked up a 2000 Polaris Magnum 500. Will a K&N make any real difference ? I have had 3 prior machines. I ran K&N in all of them. I'm thinking that with the 500's weight a K&N won't make much difference, but I'm looking for someone that has done this to a Magnum 500.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Here is the big difference, and you all ready know, the cost approach. You save on buying the paper Poo filter, and it is plugged up, vs the K&N, is just wash and re-oil and go.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer

def worth it.......just put one on my 700 twin. I noticed the increase instantly.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Remember not to OVER OIL it! I did that and it will run rich and higher RPM's. Then I needed to re-clean, dry and lightly spray even small amounts. Over all, I think its a great add, recommend using the pre-filter with it!

Regards,

R'

Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

imo there wouldnt be much if any differnce just replacing the air filter. yes it will breath better but more in needs to have more air out to make a differnce. imo

Old 09-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

if your riding real dusty conditions I would go with a UNI anyday K&N let dust in and its not like your gonna gain performance from it.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

i have a k&n filter.. with 3 n 1/2 inch intake bigger jets and hopped up the timing..

i see a diffrence....

Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by HARLEY_OWNER
i have a k&n filter.. with 3 n 1/2 inch intake bigger jets and hopped up the timing..

i see a diffrence....
i put one on my 400 2 stroker, after a weekend ride up in langlade county im glad that pre filter was on my airbox 200 miles and the thing was very dirty, i guess what scares me is when you look at a k&n you can see light through it on the low side of the filter cant believe dust will not get through it? the filter deffinatly helped lean my machine out a bit but i didnt notice anything performace wise its already fast. UNI all the way for me .

Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

i have a k/n on mine. i dont notice any differance in power or more speed and what not. the only real reason i got it was so i could clean it rather than toss and buy new. i paid $40 for the filter. i reused the pre-filter. so far iv cleaned it once. the recharge kit was $12. but i figure i can clean my filter 2 or 3 times a yr and the it should last me a long time. so over all ill be saveing money. i still have the oem paper filter just in case......

Old 09-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by hoytultratec
i put one on my 400 2 stroker, after a weekend ride up in langlade county im glad that pre filter was on my airbox 200 miles and the thing was very dirty, i guess what scares me is when you look at a k&n you can see light through it on the low side of the filter cant believe dust will not get through it? the filter deffinatly helped lean my machine out a bit but i didnt notice anything performace wise its already fast. UNI all the way for me .
where are you from? i live in clintonville and go camping on my uncles land in white lake... over labor day we rode all the way up to parish from white lake

Quick Reply: K&N air filter