Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Can you bargain with Polaris dealer prices?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most dealers are not going to go below MSRP. But if they do, you can bet they will make it up on set-up fees and such. They are in business to make a profit....the bigger, the better. The salesmen have competitions to see who gets the most profit for the owner....and then they'll get raises or other such compensation for making the store money. It's all about money....of course. Your job (or duty to yourself/family) is to get as good a price as you can by hard negotiation. Come in with a clipboard or folder in your hand, tell them you are going around finding out who has the lowest 'out the door' price on whatever it is you are looking for. Tell them you will buy it TODAY (and mean it) if the price is right. Know your facts about what you want and what price you are willing to pay. I ALWAYS know more about the vehicles I look at then the salesmen do. It often surprises them. I also tell them up front that I WILL NOT PAY MSRP nor will I pay high so called set-up fees. If they insist on 'fees' ask them what they are for. Be sure you know of rebates and discounts available to. All the info you can have will pressure them to deal more fairly with you. Do not fall for the 'demo' bargain or last years model....unless this is what you want. Always ask for any extras as a bargaining tool (accessories, oil changes, etc.) if they seem reluctant to go as low as you want. And....this is important.....if they will not deal with you, WALK OUT.
This all sounds tough....and it can be....but if you want a good price, and don't want to be robbed during extremely tough economic times, DO IT.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:08 PM
DCT
Banned

That depends where you live, and the state of the economy in your particular area.

Just about Every dealer in our area was willing to go below MSRP... WITHOUT the the hidden "fees". Some where just willing to go more than others. However, it seemed the Polaris dealers were less willing to negotiate than others. At two of the dealers who included "hidden fees", I simply included them in my negotiations... and they couldn't come close to others.

When I sold my PoPo, I shopped at 8 different dealers, and still have some numbers...

My old Polaris dealer dropped $750 off an 850 XP with no additional fees (other than tax, tag, title). Wasn't good enough.

Another Polaris dealer... $500 off an 850 XP. Basically I told him to go pound sand.

I had the price down $1600 below MSRP on an '09 700 Grizzly SE with EPS... again, no additional hiddend fees. I almost bought this one.

Another Yamaha dealer was willing to go $1000 (plus $250 back from Yamaha) off another 700 Grizzly with EPS... this was a 2010.

At another dealer, I had $900 off a Can Am 650 XT... no additional hidden fees. Still an expensive machine.

Finally, my new Suzuki dealer gave me $1400 off my '09 500 King with EPS because it was the last one on the floor. Considering that the Suzuki already had the lowest MSRP, and the fact that the dealer threw in a 4 year warranty at his cost... it was a no-brainer.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Trailblazer

8K OTD for a new 09' 850XP with EPS. That worked.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

After talking to all the Polaris dealers in Denver and not one would come down from MSRP on a 850XP ESP LE or any other model I checked the web sites of other dealers out of state, drove to Alabama and saved $2,000 including tax since I was out of state. Paid $9200 OTD.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bentarrow
After talking to all the Polaris dealers in Denver and not one would come down from MSRP on a 850XP ESP LE or any other model I checked the web sites of other dealers out of state, drove to Alabama and saved $2,000 including tax since I was out of state. Paid $9200 OTD.
I can vouch for that statement. The Denver dealers are crazy. I guess they have people that will pay the insane prices they want. Not from me and I see not from you.