Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with solenoid issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem!! HELP!!

Before I was able to read all of the advice on this forum regarding proper steps to jump starting an ATV, I made the mistake of jump starting my polairis sportsman 500 from my car....while the car engine was running. For the first few months things were fine; however, now I'm unable to start my ATV. When I turn the key I just hear a clicking sound. Ironically enough, my buddy has the same ATV as mine, made the same mistake around the same time, and his quad is experiencing the same problem.

I assume the solenoid is bad now. But before I replace it I wanted to get some advice on other electrical components that also may have been damaged. Any advice that can be provided on this issue will be greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Your starter is probably junk if your battery is not dead when it clicks. When trying to start it tap on the starter with a screwdriver or something to see if that gets it moving.
Make sure all connections are clean and tight. The cold will put a weak battery and bad connections to the test.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the jump from months ago caused your solenoids to go out....now. Coincidence.

Are you sure it's the solenoid? Try jumping it before you spend the money on a new one....it could well be your starter needs a rebuild. In either case, I don't think the jump start caused the issue.

Wenty

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive been reading and to tell you the truth Im not sure what caused it. I was just trying to connect the dots. from what Ive been reading the clicking under the seat means there is a bad soleniod?? I hooked a multi meter to the batt and it read 12volts so the batt isnt the problem. not being the most experienced when it comes to mechanics Ive been reading the forums. Its just strange that me and my buddy are having the EXACT same problems. after trouble shooting the only thing that we can agree we have both done is jumping our quads from our car batts...I think that is why we thought that was the problem.

Now we are just trying to determine what the fix is...

Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

okay, okay, okay...I'm the "buddy". neither dagoth nor I have done any after-market work to our ATVs yet. We have been banging our heads on the wall trying to determine what we did wrong to cause our issue. We both jump started our ATVs from a running car this past summer. I understand from the response already provided that this may not be the cause of our problem but it is the only thing we could think of. For the sake of arguement, what would we need to replace if the our problems are related to jumping the ATV from a running car?

We are trying to avoid a costly trip to the Polaris dealership!! Thanks in advance for the advice!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

take your volt meter and check the starter side of the solinoid and see if there is 12v there. if there is not it would be the solinoid. if there is do the screw driver tap on the starter. if that dont work. either you can take the starter out. or you could run a wire from the pos side of the battery and jump it to the starter side of the solinoid if that dont kick it over. you have a bad starter.

i have witm my 08 started it with my truck while it was running. and havent had no issues. and i have 3 batterys in my truck. i think it was just pure luck both of you have the same issue.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all you need to do w/ the key on is to jump the 2 big cables on the solenoid and if it starts the bike then it's the solenoid, if not then it's the starter that is most likley stuck. side note is that jumping a atv w/ a running vechicle is that a truck alt. puts out say arounf 85 amps into a battery that only puts out about 14 amps on the bike. so you can guess that w/ too much amperage what can happen over time to the bike. imo

Old 02-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider

Good advise, jump starting didn't cause you problem.

First make sure all your battery cable connections are very clean and tight making good connection at all points, battery, solinoid, and starter. Connection points are often bad.

The solenoid is just an on and off switch. Jump it like mentioned above, if your starter works then you have found your problem. If not, then most likely a bad starter.

Starters electrically go bad in two ways. They either draw too much ampereage or the don't draw enough to turn.

When they draw too many amps they usually turn over slow and act like you have a bad battery, especially when hot or cranked for a long time.

When they don't draw enough, sometimes tapping on the starter will sometimes make them work.

Either way, they need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a ton for all the advice...I spent most of the day shoveling snow so I wasnt able to get to what you posted.

With that said out of frustration while putting away my shovel I walked up to my ATV...Turned the key and nothing...pull started it and she started for a second and died...screamed a few "f"s at the quad and turned the key again and BOOM she started right up and ran with no freaking problem. After not working for months and having absolutely nothing done to it she is starting and running with no problem!!!! Im about to take my 12 GA and start blowing holes in it. I am going to do the above also...tomorrow. I will post what happens.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Sometimes you'll hit a dead spot in the starter, usually caused by a bad ground, poor or corroded connection, or just plain dirty.

Quick Reply: Help with solenoid issue