Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 HO Throttle Sticking

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 HO Throttle Sticking

Well, I'm sure there are lots on here like me. Live in a climate where it's nice and toasty warm in the summer, creating lots of mud and water to go through for many months. It's an awesome experience for sure. Last season I put my 08 HO through lots of water, actually too much on one occasion, nothing an oil change and greasing couldn't fix up.
That refreshing water and black bog mud has now turned to a solid piece of frozen ice. Yes, I'm one of those who is lucky enough to be far enough from the equator to frequently experience -30 degree celcius weather. So all this banter to let you know of my problem I'm having or had I guess with my 08 HO Sportsman (carb).
I store my ATV in my garage which usually keeps things from freezing, however upon taking the ATV out into the cold to plow or just ride, the throttle begins to freeze up after riding a bit. How long depends on the temperature outside.
So I looked on here to see if anyone else had experienced the problem, I really couldn't get a good sense of exactly what to do to fix it. I just got the bike new (as a leftover) however it's now just out of warranty, damn!
Looks like I'm fixing it myself. I should note it really wasn't easy to tell whether it was the cable or the carburator itself icing up. So I took the cable off and put lube down it. Tried the ATV and biking keep reving again after a short run.
So I took the cable completely off the ATV, with exception of unhooking it from the carb, it seems like a bitch of a job to unhook it, three screws hold on a cover and it's packed in alongside the frame, what a stupid design. Anyway, I did read on here somewhere ppl can put antifreeze down the cable but thats not easy since theres not much room to fluid around the cable and down the casing. I did eventually get one of those screws removed from the carb and low and behold, water came out! Yes!, I took compressed air and dried it out as best as I could. But not wanted to have this happen on the trail again, what I did was place a large hose around the end of the throttle cable and filled the hose with antifreeze, add air pressure via my lungs, and forced the antifreeze down the cable and came out the other end at the carb. Put it all back together and problem fixed. Won't be icing up again this season at least.
Just thought I'd put this on here in case anyone has this issue.
Have fun out there.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

w/ the proper kind of cable tube and cabler luber to spray it into the cable it should have taken care of the issue it self. don't like the antifreeze idea myself as i think it could cause other issues later on but thats just me.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

Living in MN I've had the same issue but I used some spray lube and cable lube. tipped the rear end of the machine up and used a blow dryer to warm the cable and help the lube slide in the cable sleeve. Haven't had an issue yet this year.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Maybe you can add it to the Toyota recall for the same issue LOL

Old 02-12-2010, 02:54 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Always use approved cable lube. If your cable has an inner teflon coating, putting oil or similar lubricants can cause a reaction with the teflon and slow down or seize the throttle.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree with all of you...But on a Saturday night..cold..needed to get going..no lube available..it worked...HOWEVER.. I do intend on taking the cable off the carb and cleaning it out, drying it out and using Polaris Cable lube (or similiar). Thanks for the comments though, nice to see so many experienced people giving very good advice, that's why I love the forums. Have a good one.