Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

it died 4 miles from home

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it died 4 miles from home

So this past saturday I went on an awesome ride, we cover what would of ben about 60 miles, well I came up about 4 miles short of that. here is the issue and i can not figure it out. about 5 or 6 miles before it died i got a flashing wrench on my dash but only on start up and than it went away, so we started heading back to home,
So like i said about four miles out it just died, like it was shut off. the fan was still running but the dash was out and when i went to start there was nothing. I waited for alittle but thinking that something may be hot, and about 15 minutes later still nothing. I took the head light pod off and the ignition switch was hot, but not to bad, everything else was cool. I also took the front panel off and was checking out the wires and such. it still wouldn't start. than i tapped on the thing that almost looks like a computor(the black box with the biggest plug going into it) still nothing. than i tapped on the thing next to it, it looks like it may have a vacumm line comeing out the bottom, and it started than died, i wasn't looking at it and i heard something fry with white smoke. not sure where it came from. the machine started just fine nd ran all the way home. so this morning i go to try and start and it cranked over real slow with a delay when i actualy turned the key to start.(it has never cranked over slow before.

so here is what i ask,
1, any idea what the flashing wrench light would be for.
2, any idea what may be wrong with the electrickal system( before any one asks i am going to go through all the connections/clean them up and put new dialectrick greese on them)

Thank you all in advance

Old 05-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

anyone know anything, I am super stumped

Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

w/ white smoke coming out of an elctrical part thats not good and most likely got some kind of power surge maybe? w/ the bike running how many volts is it putting out?

Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by stendori
w/ white smoke coming out of an elctrical part thats not good and most likely got some kind of power surge maybe? w/ the bike running how many volts is it putting out?
Stendori - where do you measure the output voltage? Is there a particualr plug that is best? If you remember my brown wire thread from a couple days ago...I too remember seeing a puff of white smoke just before my ground wire melted. I'm thinking I probably should check the output voltage to make sure it wasn't just a short.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

The simplest thing to do is use a voltage meter at the battery to determine the DC. voltage output. Should be around 13volts - 14.8 max. with engine running at all rpms. If your getting higher voltage than that, there would be concern of spikes frying stuff. Do a search on (overcharging) I had some stator issues and there is some info in there regarding that.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Range Rover

doesnt the regulator control the voltage from the stator? i will set up my fluke tonight and take some readings as various rpms.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
doesnt the regulator control the voltage from the stator? i will set up my fluke tonight and take some readings as various rpms.
You are correct. If in fact your regulator isn't working properly it could let voltage spikes through. In my case it was very odd. My regulator was working properly but with the grounding issue somehow voltage spikes were still getting through. I was stumped and took it in to the popo dealer. Even their mechanic was scratchin his head and claimed, that's a new one on me. Keep in mind that a shorted or bad battery can cause overcharging symptoms as well. I hate electrical issues!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by readymixer169
You are correct. If in fact your regulator isn't working properly it could let voltage spikes through. In my case it was very odd. My regulator was working properly but with the grounding issue somehow voltage spikes were still getting through. I was stumped and took it in to the popo dealer. Even their mechanic was scratchin his head and claimed, that's a new one on me. Keep in mind that a shorted or bad battery can cause overcharging symptoms as well. I hate electrical issues!
yep Ready hit it right on the head on the info.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
yaK
Pro Rider

On my 04 400 i had the brown wire leading down from the pod go.It was pinched in a spot that you could not see and it was not until i pulled on it a bit firmer that it actually came apart. Wired it back together and the dash came back and it started and has been fine for the last year.
hope this helps