Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

250 Trailblazer died while idle, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 Trailblazer died while idle, wont start

I have an 03 250 Trailblazer that I use quite often around the house, several times a week. Yesterday I pulled it out of the shed started it since I have one back tire that seems to leak air out, it started perfect as always, I pulled the air hose over and was filling the tire and it just shut off, now it wont restart. It has spark, gas and oil...cranks over fine...weird. I pulled the plug and checked it, since I was cranking on it for a little it had a little build up of gas on it so I let it dry down but it is not even attempting to start. It has compression as I feel it sucking thru the air intake, but if it was low it wouldnt have started 30 sec earlier. There was NO banging or weird noises before it shut down...didnt sound like it ran out of gas..I checked the spark atleast 5 times.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

R

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

After it cooled down would it start? You really should check the compression for reference. it has to be over 100psi to run normal is 120 mine is 135 psi.

Will it do anything with starting fluid, putter/sputter? When you check the spark, pull the start handle real fast to make certain it is firring at full speed.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

It never warmed up, only ran for 30-40 sec, just long enough for me to pull the air hose over to the back tire and start to air it up.
I put a new plug in tonight, no change, also checked the compression, obviously cold, it was at 121-124 range.
It hasnt really ever been "used" like most 4 wheelers, I have 3 03 250's, the other two I took to my parents last year, this one is my daughters. The hours are really low on all of them (10-15 run time hours), they all look new still.

I used the starter, it turns over plenty fast with that, you can clearly see the spark.
LOL, starter fluid..are you kidding, it is a two stroke...yes I did since what else do I have to loose....big mistake...I knew better but still did a quick shot while it was turning over...nice big bang, blew the exhaust off the front, boy that is fun to pull the springs off to reseat it, I forgot how much fun that is, I have a hotseat exhaust on mine (this one is my daughters, she is all stock), forgot how much fun those springs are on the hands/knuckles, and I did a compression check again after that, still good, whew, lesson once again learned....it maybe ok to use starting fluid on a multi cylinder engine, but a single is a bit scary, even if it is a small amount while its turning over.

R

Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

This may sound crazy but did you check the fuel petcock to make sure its on? I`ve done it myself and I`m sure allot of the readers done it too but we just don`t like to talk about it
Air/fuel/spark it should run if compressions over 100psi

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Yes fuel valve on, it has never been turned from the day I bought them, but I did check. To be honest the plug is plenty wet, I even use one of those long stick type lighter with a quick click above the cylinder plug hole it give me a nice quick poof as it burns the excess fuel that builds up while I am cranking it over...but it does not appear to be too much as the plug is not dripping as if it was flooded....anyone want to see a Molotov cocktail trailblazer?

Thanks guys.

R

Old 10-04-2015, 03:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default '99 tblazer 250

It wouldn't spark but I disabled the reverse override module and it has blue spark now, and it still won't start.