Go Back   ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community » Brand Discussions Area » Polaris
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to ATVConnection Forums!
Welcome to ATVConnection.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the ATVConnection Forums community today!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Default Front CV joint loose in diff

Yeah, I know it's not really a diff, you knew what I mean. The CV joint is loose, I can grab it and wiggle it around. It's not the shaft itself, it's where it goes into the front drive unit. It's the left one only, not the right. I can also hear a new rattling noise and can also feel it through the bars, I believe this is where it's coming from. Is this common? What's the fix?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Garage is empty, add now

If its the CV worn (under the black rubber boot) on the axle then you have to buy a new axle,they do not just sell CV joints separate,which would be nice if they did.

If its not the CV,then its in the front diff. I would guess roller cage if the AWD is not working.
5.25 gas tank.
============
2007 350 Grizzly
IRS
Diff lock.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

It's not the joint itself, it's where the shaft couples with the front gearcase. I've never had one out before, what holds it in? Does it ride in a bearing?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Garage is empty, add now

Does it wiggle up and down or in and out? Your axle is a splined shaft with a groove in it for a compression ring. The compression ring is what holds it in place. If you can wiggle it in and out I would suspect the ring is weak, not seated properly, or broken which I've never seen but not impossible. If it wiggles up and down I would suspect possibly a bearing or roller cage in the front drive housing.
07 H.D. Softail custom
2014 ram hemi crew
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

It's up and down, it doesn't wiggle that much but the other side doesn't wiggle at all. The awd works fine so it could be a bearing I guess. Do you know if the case needs to be pulled and split to replace the bearings?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Garage is empty, add now

Not sure if the Diff would come apart for the bearing, not as bad as you think if be, I hear of people changing the roller cage and saying it was not that bad of a job.

According to this parts site OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse you should find out if your ATV was built before or after 7/17/06 also a different diff if its ADC. so three possible front gear cases for a 07, 800.
5.25 gas tank.
============
2007 350 Grizzly
IRS
Diff lock.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

It was built in March of 07, I would hate to have gotten one of the early builds. I'm really thinking of getting rid of it at this point. It seems like I fix more than I ride.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Garage is empty, add now

guessing but sounds like the bearing or maybe carrier is the issue. not very common that i have herd about.
10' massey ferguson tractor
Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Garage is empty, add now

when you say a little wiggle, how much? I checked my sportsmans to kinda compare what your saying and both sides of mine wiggle slightly up and down but not front to back. I only have 600 mile on it so far, and noticed zero issues with it the way it is. I wonder if it's normal to have just a little give.
07 H.D. Softail custom
2014 ram hemi crew
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Garage is empty, add now

Possibly, it is only held there with a small clip. I think the rattling noise I'm hearing is my wheel bearings getting bad... 2000 miles.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:42 PM

Tags
2002, 2010, 650, atv, bearing, cv, front, joint, kawasaki, kvf, loose, mean, polaris, rear, shaft, sleeves, struts, supposed, wheel