Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reed Valve Question............

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to add that I put some fuel into the spark plug hole and it wouldn't even try to fire up.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the exhaust off, put some fuel in the cylinder and it fired up for a few seconds. Couldn't get it to start up again.
When I pulled the head pipe off gas poured out, not a lot though.
I pulled the reeds off again and it seems its getting gas on the inside of the cage, but not on the cylinder side. With the reeds out I put my hand over the intake on the cylinder while cranking it. Didn't feel any kind of suction.
Should there be? I put everything back and put my hand on the air side of the carb while cranking and didn't feel it sucking air.
I re-checked compression and its at 122 psi.
I haven't pulled clutch cover and checked seals on that side yet. I'll probably have to wait until next weekend to do that.

So I'm not sure if it is a vacuum problem, weak spark or carb problem. Advice is appreciated.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it doesn't have compression on bottom end it wont crank! Engine wont pull a vacuum,check crank seals,especially the one behind drive clutch,its the first one to get distorted or pop out and leak. If you have good top end compression (at least 100psi),but if seals are bad it cant pull fuel into cylinder down through the transfer ports and push up into top of cylinder to complete atomization of fuel and air and fire mixture!! You can't always just look at seals! If you have access to a leak down gauge and adapters you can block off exhaust,install gauge in intake,pressurize to 7 psi,SHOULD HOLD and not leak down. If does,then spray soapy water around seals,base gasket,and head gasket and check for bubbles! Seals are CHEAP,just replace them,this will eliminate compression questions if top end compression is good!!!
OPT

Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on seals again.Can,t go by looks, just replaced and eliminate question on seals... Leak down test is the best way to see for sure without guessing...Lets fix this thing and ride....Good Luck