Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New battery makes life easy

Old 01-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery makes life easy

I just put in an Odyssey PC925L AGM Drycell Battery in my 500 Touring. I mounted the battery on it's side with the terminals facing the right side of the ATV. I moved the ground wire from the left side frame to the right side. I can now disconnect my battery in about 5 minutes without cracking my knuckles or removing any parts.....why couldn't Polaris make it this easy?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen their shop rates?
they are in NO hurry!!...........LOL.............Caper..........

Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

One rubber strap with hooks,remove the plastic batter cover ,diconnect wires and tilt battery and it pulls out. Never knew it was hard.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!

I don't think the Polaris Touring models are the same as our sportsman's.
I remember reading a post on here before about someone having major issues with removing the battery also,Can't remember which model though!........Caper........

Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
I don't think the Polaris Touring models are the same as our sportsman's.
I remember reading a post on here before about someone having major issues with removing the battery also,Can't remember which model though!........Caper........
i too read where some models (like the 08'sp.400) were very hard to get the battery out. not like my old 450 where you do as mentioned. the 800 was a tght fit and w/ mud built up in the box it came out a little dry.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

The Touring is not easy. It's not a strap, but a metal cage which holds the battery. But that's not the trouble, the problem is that the battery posts sit right up against the fuel tank so getting your hands in there is a real tight fit with little room for tools. You had to take the battery out of the cage and slide it backward to have easy access. With the new setup I can unhook my negative post in seconds through the wheel well, same with the positive all without moving the battery around.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Originally Posted by reno82
I just put in an Odyssey PC925L AGM Drycell Battery in my 500 Touring. I mounted the battery on it's side with the terminals facing the right side of the ATV. I moved the ground wire from the left side frame to the right side. I can now disconnect my battery in about 5 minutes without cracking my knuckles or removing any parts.....why couldn't Polaris make it this easy?
Just curious...but why did you mount the battery on its side the way you did? Was it necessary to get the battery to fit...or was it a preference?

biz

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by reno82
The Touring is not easy. It's not a strap, but a metal cage which holds the battery. But that's not the trouble, the problem is that the battery posts sit right up against the fuel tank so getting your hands in there is a real tight fit with little room for tools. You had to take the battery out of the cage and slide it backward to have easy access. With the new setup I can unhook my negative post in seconds through the wheel well, same with the positive all without moving the battery around.
Reno, Can I see a full size pic of your avatar? Is that you riding? Looks awesome!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by biz4two
Just curious...but why did you mount the battery on its side the way you did? Was it necessary to get the battery to fit...or was it a preference?

biz
Both, on it's side it fills the cage, it would be too wide sitting flat. Also on the side it's much easier to have access to the terminals from the right side of the quad.

Chadly, I'll look for my avatar shot. Yes, that's me and the wife crossing a stream on the Paiute trail in Utah.