Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ECM Problem.... Anybody else?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Problem.... Anybody else?

So I have been having problems with my sportsman 500 lately. I was running every scenario through my head of what it could be, and finally took it to somebody who knows what they are doing. Turns out the ECM is bad. Now what really pisses me off is I had it replaced under warranty, and I have not put but 10 hours or so on the new ECM and it is already out. Is that something polaris should cover, or am I out of luck?

I am thinking a nice call to Polaris may be in order even though I will probably not get anywhere or make any gains, I may feel better about myself

Anybody else have this same problem?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

caper went through 3 of them on his sp 450, but he got them all under warranty.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

should be documeted if replaced from dealer under warranty, they should get you another

Old 03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtyone55
So I have been having problems with my sportsman 500 lately. I was running every scenario through my head of what it could be, and finally took it to somebody who knows what they are doing. Turns out the ECM is bad. Now what really pisses me off is I had it replaced under warranty, and I have not put but 10 hours or so on the new ECM and it is already out. Is that something polaris should cover, or am I out of luck?

I am thinking a nice call to Polaris may be in order even though I will probably not get anywhere or make any gains, I may feel better about myself

Anybody else have this same problem?
I replaced several "new Surefire American made modules after they also failed as did the Chinese ones! All it takes is a dealer call to Polaris to get it "re warrantied",thats all I had to do! DON'T let a dealer charge you for it! OPT

Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I replaced several "new Surefire American made modules after they also failed as did the Chinese ones! All it takes is a dealer call to Polaris to get it "re warrantied",thats all I had to do! DON'T let a dealer charge you for it! OPT
Thanks everybody for the reply. The ECM was already bought, and now installed. I contacted the dealer that did the warranty work originally asking them if they could help me in any way to build a case to submit something to Polaris. I am guessing I am going to get the shaft on this one.

The dealer it was bought from said once it is replaced under warranty, that is it. It doesn't matter that I have only about 10 hours on the replacement, and 98% of that time, it was giving me electrical troubles.

I guess if they tell me thanks for taking our shaft.... I will just have to hope to sneak some vaseline in there

Old 03-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtyone55
Thanks everybody for the reply. The ECM was already bought, and now installed. I contacted the dealer that did the warranty work originally asking them if they could help me in any way to build a case to submit something to Polaris. I am guessing I am going to get the shaft on this one.

The dealer it was bought from said once it is replaced under warranty, that is it. It doesn't matter that I have only about 10 hours on the replacement, and 98% of that time, it was giving me electrical troubles.

I guess if they tell me thanks for taking our shaft.... I will just have to hope to sneak some vaseline in there
thats why it pisses me off on some of these so called "stealers" that sell polaris that won't go to bat for thier customers. guess they don't want repeat bussiness.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

Why couldn't you post who your dealer is. A couple of us could send him a link from the forum and he could see his bad press and maybe stand up to what he should do. Just a thought. An email address to sales @???????.com couldn't hurt. Tony

Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer

thats why it pisses me off on some of these so called "stealers" that sell polaris that won't go to bat for thier customers. guess they don't want repeat bussiness.
Yea... we will see what this brings

Originally Posted by tonythom
Why couldn't you post who your dealer is. A couple of us could send him a link from the forum and he could see his bad press and maybe stand up to what he should do. Just a thought. An email address to sales @???????.com couldn't hurt. Tony
Not a bad idea, I want to see what my dealer responds first before I start anything. There are really two dealers involved here, the one that ended up selling the ECM to the mechanic, and my dealer that I have made contact with. I am going to personally go out and talk to the dealership that sold the ECM and said it was not under warranty, but want to get all the info I can from the dealer that did the repair work. I think I am fighting a losing battle, but would like to give it the best shot that I have of getting this resolved.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

Give him a link to this post, or print it up. Right now there are 195 users looking at the polaris forum and I believe this is usually higher. You have other people who said their dealer took care of them and he could also. I bought a used sportsman for 2000.00 I would expect service like that But not on a newer 850. I'd hit the print button and go from there. I am sure it couldn't hurt. Also if one dealer helps you come back here and give him a good word also. It works both ways. TonyT

Old 03-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

File a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, give as much detail as possible, tell them the failure of the ECM during vehicle operation could lead to rider injury or death. They can smack Polaris Corporate and have them fix this, (nobody loves a recall).

Don't fault the dealer too much, he will only do what he will get paid for, the era of customer goodwill is long gone.

Have your mechanic check the wiring harness for shorts. Good Luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECM Problem.... Anybody else?