Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 500 ~ Need help how to change old gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 01:39 PM
ckh
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 500 ~ Need help how to change old gas?

Sold our ATV to a neighbor a couple of years ago... He's never added to or changed the fuel and now it won't start !

I'd like to borrow it back now...

How do I drain the old gas out of it safely?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ckh
Sold our ATV to a neighbor a couple of years ago... He's never added to or changed the fuel and now it won't start !

I'd like to borrow it back now...

How do I drain the old gas out of it safely?
If its a carb model you can remove hose coming from tank to fuel pump and drain OR can do like I used to do and use an "Oklahoma credit card"(no offense to you okies) that is a siphon hose,plus is even easier if you have access to air compressor and air blower. Just wrap and old towel or paper towels tightly around air blower when in tank neck to seal off,gas will empty pretty quick under pressure with the hose in tank and other end in a gas can! Used to do this on the water craft that held 8 gallons. Didn't have all day to drain fuel! That will get rid of old gas,BUT still may have to go into carb if won't run right. OPT

Old 04-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

going have to pull that carb to cleaned for sure. fresh gas isn't going to solve the gummed up carb for sure w/ out a good complete disassemble and cleaning to rid of the crap gas in side that most likley might have congealed. imo

Old 04-10-2011, 04:30 PM
ckh
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
going have to pull that carb to cleaned for sure. fresh gas isn't going to solve the gummed up carb for sure w/ out a good complete disassemble and cleaning to rid of the crap gas in side that most likley might have congealed. imo
Isn't there some junk I can mix with gas to try to clean it out first?

.... thought I read that in here, said to try ... argh... can't remember the name of the stuff to mix with a gallon of gas..... said if it starts, it would clean it out...?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not if its been sitting 2 years,EVEN with stabilizer! Ethanol blend will leave a mess in fuel system. If gas is to be stored use MARINE stabil,it will preserve twice as long and remove water from the ethanol. Afer getting it running,(flushing tank and carb clean)pour about 2 ounces to a tank and will keep fuel fresh a long time(They claim up to 2 years,but I wouldn't push it!) Gas we are getting now(at least in Texas) won't last six months without problems,used to last longer before ethanol was used! OPT

Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

nope gonna haveto dump tank and clean carb like OPT said, after you get it runnin use stabil and Seafoam to keep fuel sytem good and clean,

Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

you are going have to empty the tank then clean the jets make sure you drain all lines and blow them out and might want to instal a inline fuel filter in or you will have to take the carb off and clean it again had to do that to min a couple weeks ago after sitting 2 years and seafoam was used in it your best bet when parking for some time just to empty every thing out so you never end up with problems again

Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I used Seafoam in my old 750 Honda and I admit its good,BUT I had to go back through my carbs because it still allowed water and rust to clog up my small #35 pilot jets,After cleaning I started using Marine Stabil and I've been using it for several years now and can let it set on my trickle charger and never have had to pull all four carbs back off. Just my honest opinion it takes care of water better and maintains octane better. I even used to use the RED Stabil and its not as good. Marine is mainly designed for boats,but if you check other forums others are going with the Marine Stabil because of ethanol fuel and its reputation for water removal. I don't ride that much anymore,BUT I can go out and crank it up anytime I feel like it with no problems.Supposed to use one ounce per 5 gallons,but I double to two ounces.Its best to keep your tank full which doesn't give moisture room to get in tank as bad also. PLUS I DON"T LIKE pulling four carbs! Like I said just my opinion only! OPT

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have a 06 ho sportsman efi had to take off tank and dump it out because of fuel pump in tank

Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use stabil in my gas for wheelers, lawnmower, etc year round and only run the premium non-oxygenated fuel. It is much easier to use it when filling the cans and that way I always know it's good. Costs more but is ethanol free. Also run some seafoam in the tank every few months to keep things clean. The few $ spent on those two items will save you a lot of heartache when it comes time to ride IMO!