Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 polaris sportsman 500

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 polaris sportsman 500

Is there a simple test to show if there is flow from the water pump? I thinking I do not have much or any. Just had dealer service the pump seal about 5 hours of run time ago. Fan will not come on now and overheating is an issue. Coolant steams but radiator is cool to the touch. Please help point me in the right direction. I'm no stranger to tools, but have limited time and would rather have a direction to start looking or some simple tests I can do in the garage.
Thank you

Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 4chevys4me
Is there a simple test to show if there is flow from the water pump? I thinking I do not have much or any. Just had dealer service the pump seal about 5 hours of run time ago. Fan will not come on now and overheating is an issue. Coolant steams but radiator is cool to the touch. Please help point me in the right direction. I'm no stranger to tools, but have limited time and would rather have a direction to start looking or some simple tests I can do in the garage.
Thank you
If dealer didn't "bleed" coolant system can over flow. Leave radiator cap off and see if when warm if fan comes on,will usually take care of any air pockets. If FAN is not coming on, could be radiator sensor. Fan can be tested by direct 12 volts to the fan motor. If fan motor is ok,but fan doesn't kick on when hot, then possible #4010161 radiator sensor! I replaced quite a few of these. OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer

02 polaris sportsman 500. I don't use it much. Just happened to have it out and running for a 1/2 hour straight. Did not hear fan as usual and then the light came on. Battery has not been holding a charge either. Was fine till just the other day. Using the pull start it fires right up first pull. The lights were flashing all winter once warm so I replaced the 20 amp type 1 circuit breaker under the front hood thinking it may also work the fan, but no luck. Where do I start?

Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 4chevys4me
02 polaris sportsman 500. I don't use it much. Just happened to have it out and running for a 1/2 hour straight. Did not hear fan as usual and then the light came on. Battery has not been holding a charge either. Was fine till just the other day. Using the pull start it fires right up first pull. The lights were flashing all winter once warm so I replaced the 20 amp type 1 circuit breaker under the front hood thinking it may also work the fan, but no luck. Where do I start?
REPLACE battery! Fan has to have battery to operate! After installing new battery check that battery is getting 14 volts or so while running(to see if charging ok). Leave the radiator cap off until fan kicks on,then top off coolant then replace cap and fill over flow bottle. OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer

I'll try that, Thank you

Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

OK, got to look at it a little tonight. Tested the fan direct with a trolling motor battery and it worked with out issue. Charged battery full and started quad and let idle with the radiator cap OFF till it started to steam, No temp light came on. Radiator fins got hot, but the return line back to the motor did not feel as hot. As stated in prior post I have replaced the 20amp circiut breaker for the lights, the one in the black bag with 2 wires in and 1 out. There is another sealed black bag, what is this one for? I looked quickly and could not find a reset or a fuse for this fan, Any help where to look would be great. Also, where is the temp sensor on the motor? Should I check this? Should I just assume the thermostat is bad? or would the fan come on even if the thermostat was bad? The battery was being charges when testing and the green light was on so I can assume the power going out was OK. What's next?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

[QUOTE=4chevys4me;3034777]OK, got to look at it a little tonight. Tested the fan direct with a trolling motor battery and it worked with out issue. Charged battery full and started quad and let idle with the radiator cap OFF till it started to steam, No temp light came on. Radiator fins got hot, but the return line back to the motor did not feel as hot. As stated in prior post I have replaced the 20amp circiut breaker for the lights, the one in the black bag with 2 wires in and 1 out. There is another sealed black bag, what is this one for? I looked quickly and could not find a reset or a fuse for this fan, Any help where to look would be great. Also, where is the temp sensor on the motor? Should I check this? Should I just assume the thermostat is bad? or would the fan come on even if the thermostat was bad? The battery was being charges when testing and the green light was on so I can assume the power going out was OK. What's next?[/QUOT

Temp sensor is located on the radiator (lower right hand side) # 4010161 as I posted earlier. If you have another pouch(10 amp circuit breaker) under the front cover just check that you have power on both sides of the red wires coming out of it. Its does on certain models provides power for the fan also. If it has power then its probably a bad radiator sensor( this is what we replaced the most of) Thermostats usually are not a problem on the atvs. OPT

Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If the top rad hose gets hot and hard and the bottom hose remains soft and cool than you have a air lock and the sytem needs to be bleed of air. Thats what happened to me anyways.

A 84-88 Nissan Maxima or 86-89 Nissan Stansa Rad sensor will work from a auto parts store. I have been using a "Blue Streak TS-127" for the last 3 years on a 2001 model.

Napa FS147
Wells SW526
Will also work as well, if your OEM sensor is Part# 4010161.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 AM
Trailblazer

what is the best way to burp the air out of the system?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I added coolant to the rad as the motor is running while shaking the ATV with one hand on the bars. I also was told to elevate the front higher than the rear slightly. I notice looking down the rad filler hole the the water flowed better and the bottom hose was as had and hot as the top hose, its been running great ever since.