Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

are all trail boss 250s loud as mine???

Old 11-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are all trail boss 250s loud as mine???

Im fixing up an 88 Trail Boss 250. Its got the original exhaust on it and I'm wondering how loud these things are supposed to be. I mean, my other quads are all 4 strokes so they are naturally quieter, but this just seems LOUD. The nearest Polaris dealer is about an hour away. I'm rebuilding the carb tomorrow and thinking about taking it down Monday to ask the mechanic if it is supposed to be this freakin loud.
Does anyone else have one close to this year and can say that they are noisy bikes. I was looking around online and I'm not even sure if I can get an exhaust for this. I may have to buy a silencer and piece it on to the old pipe somehow. any ideas of how I can quiet this down a bit?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Never have been really quiet machines,but gets louder as exhaust system wears! You might try a new exhaust manifold gasket,seal with high temp silicone around bell area of pipe where it fits to front pipe,along with new springs,MAY quiet down a little. Also check the sealing of pipe where it goes into muffler(usually source of a lot of noise also)

Old 11-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree maybe it has a hole in it or bad gasket. but w/ the age of the bike maybe the baffles (guts) of the pipe are worn out.
here you go. trail blazer pipes on ebay.
sorry it should have has boss in the link but it is the trail boss pipes.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your muffler/pipe is wore out and guts are gone I have one that is off a 88 250 drop a pm

Old 11-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

That's what I was thinking...with the year and all of the bike, maybe the insides of the muffler were not what they were 20 years ago.
Ok, dumb question time. How can I tell? You cannot visually look into the end of the muffler because the pipe comes out and turns down just a bit. You can see from these pics on eBay #1 and #2 That you can't see in from either end.
I'm just trying to find a way to make this quieter. I'm not sure buying a used exhaust from another bike would be any better than what I have. Thats why I was considering aftermarket alternatives. Any Thoughts or ideas on them? I have been looking, but no applications I have found yet list a 1988 Trail Boss 250 2x4.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After market pipes ARE loud and one for that old of machine may be hard to find.The one I have is off one that was running that I parted out.!986-1988 will fit.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 91 trailboss 250 2 stroke and it is the loudest bike I have heard. It runs like a bat out of h*ll though! My friends call it the buzzsaw because you can hear me coming from long away.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

my 91 trail boss is pretty loud itself being a 2 stroke i always have to be last in line on the trail .

Old 11-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

I've had several 2stroke dirt bikes in the past and this is by far the loudest 2 stoke engine I have ever heard. At least I know Other people seem to have it going on with theirs too. I still don't know what can be done. I was hoping someone one here had gone through this before. I suppose there is no way to repack those baffles, it is all welded together as one unit. Even trying to buy an aftermarket silencer, you would need some custom piping made to connect it to the engine. That leaves only one solution, buy a used piece and pray it is in better condition than what you have. I just wonder if they were this loud when new. Maybe all my concern is for nothing. I would like to quiet it down it possible.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Range Rover

dont you know louder is better....

maby welding something in the exhaust outlet (like a pipe coupler) then you can try different plugs with different size holes drilled in it....

actually probably your best solution would be here http://hearos.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: are all trail boss 250s loud as mine???