Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 stalling problem

I have a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 that has recently started stalling when riding. Over the course of a full day of riding, bike may stall 3 or 4 times. Sometimes, it also backfires once when it stalls, but always starts right up. It happens on completely dry ground and doesn't seem to have any pattern of when it happens. Other than this, bike runs great. Stalling occurs under acceleration, not at idle and is there is no sputtering at all. It's almost like someone turns the ignition off, but not sure if a bad switch would explain the backfire? Any ideas would be great...Thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 700 issue

i had a similar problem with my o4 sportsman...it ended up being a wire that came down from the handle bars and was rubbing on the plastic near the steering colum. all the wires are kinda packed in there...either way good luck! i would look at the condition of you wiring, i had a couple spots were it was rubbing!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason0319
I have a 2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 that has recently started stalling when riding. Over the course of a full day of riding, bike may stall 3 or 4 times. Sometimes, it also backfires once when it stalls, but always starts right up. It happens on completely dry ground and doesn't seem to have any pattern of when it happens. Other than this, bike runs great. Stalling occurs under acceleration, not at idle and is there is no sputtering at all. It's almost like someone turns the ignition off, but not sure if a bad switch would explain the backfire? Any ideas would be great...Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! You might check ALL the posts on the Ducati ignition systems on the 2002-2004 Sportsman 600 and 700 models! Sounds like the ignition system may be on its way out! The replacement kit #2202602 is around $475. It changes from Ducati to Kokusan ignition! It will eventually go out,sometimes unexpectedly! OPT

Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

My 2002 700 and my buddies 2004 EFI 700 had the same problem and it was a well documented problem in the handlebar throttle asembly. There is a kill switch built into the thumb throttle asm that protects you if the throttle cable sticks and shuts the motor down. Pry the cover off of the throttle asm and you will see a small set of cantacts in there. Make certain it operates freely and your throttle cable is lubed. Sometimes you have to adjust the throttle cable with the thumb srews on the cable about 5 inches down from the throttle asemble to get the proper play in that switch.

If you do a search on throttle safety switch or something similar you should find all the posts I found a year or so ago.

Its probably not the ignitions system as if that were bad, it would just be bad and not run again.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You just might want to check how many people on the forum have had the kit replacement on the 600 and 700 Sportsmans! I was still replacing kits on 2002 to EARLY 2004 model 700's and 600's when I retired in Nov 2010 and lost count of how many I did! The DUCATI system is JUNK,period! The kit changed the entire ignition system from DUCATI to the KOKUSAN system! This included the flywheel,stator,separate cdi,coil,regulator/rectifier and jumper harness in the new kit! YES,I completely agree,if the throttle is out of adjustment they will just usually die,but just when you let off the throttle! This happens on ALL Polaris atvs if the etc switch is not adjusted properly by the throttle cable!!. But this is a completely different problem on the 700's that can and will leave you stranded, some without notice when they do go out! They can give you a little notice,popping back, stalling even UNDER acceleration as the above poster mentioned or as some have noted,they have killed the machine and when they went back to start it, it wouldn't run! I'm just trying to keep people from being stranded on these model machines! The 2004 efi was a completely different situation,NOT part of this problem,ONLY the EARLY carb model 600 and 700's!!! OPT

Old 07-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 02 Sportsman 700 that is starting to do the same thing. Sometimes it will spit and sputter a little like it is missing and sometimes it will just cut off while I'm just going steady and keeping the throttle steady. I've changed the spark plugs, air filter and checked the idle adjustment.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Kit #2202602 will fix this problem. Gets rid of the Ducati ignition system and replaces it with the Kokusan ignition. Look at all the posts on this problem on this forum plus on other sites also. OPT

Old 12-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only the carb models had the Ducati ignition. You're ok..

Old 06-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Kit #2202602 will fix this problem. Gets rid of the Ducati ignition system and replaces it with the Kokusan ignition. Look at all the posts on this problem on this forum plus on other sites also. OPT
So where do I look for this kit number?? Just bought a 2002 polaris 700 for my kid and it sputters at 20 mph

Old 06-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not necessary to post in the regular section and the expert section on the same subject.Causes confusion. Just pick one section or the other. Someone will get to you.

Quick Reply: Sportsman 700 stalling problem