Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need advice on my Scrambler that is locked in 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on my Scrambler that is locked in 4x4

Hello all, New to this great forum. There seems to be lots of good info on here from people that know what they are talking about. My problem is I have a 2005 Scrambler 500 that is always locked into 4 wheel drive. It seems the switch doesn't light up when switched. Seems like the hubs might have leaked a little also. I picked this one up cheap so can afford a little work to it. It appears that it has lead a rough life but it runs great! I also have a 2003 Scrambler 500 and in the past owned a 99 500 as well. With a little research I have found there is a magnetic coil that actually fires the system. Was wondering if there was anything cheap and easy I might be able to try before I tear it apart. Please help with any ideas. I currently have a snow blade mounted to this one so I need the 4 wheel drive, but when play time comes I want to be ready. Thanks a million in advance!! Sean

Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can try to change the hub fluid even if the hub or strut seals are leaking and see if it unlocks and starts working. Either way you will have to go into the hubs and (if it was mine) I would replace the hub and strut seals(to keep you from having to tear it back down if you don't!) replace the armature plates as they are about as cheap as the seals and inspect the bearings, coil and coil sleeve and strut inner pole for wear and excessive grinding from the plates against the coil. When you install the armature plates,just place in gear with the awd on,hold the plate close to the coil,turn the key on and see if the coil pulls the armature plate. If not,check that the wiring is ok, has power to the gray wire at the coil. A lot of it depends on if the hubs were run dry on fluid as to how much if any damage.It's a common problem also for the armature plates to magnetize over a period of time which can lock one wheel or the other in full time! Always replace both plates! Couple of the members have a step by step pics on the hub repair(if you don't have manual) and hopefully will chime in. Also the hub nut torques to 144 inch pounds (12 foot pounds) only! OPT

Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Excellent. Thanks so much for the help. I now have a place to start now and will post my findings when I get it done. What type of oil do the hubs use? Also when the coil is charged it is actually pushing the pins into the roller cage, correct? Sorry if this is way off but I am trying to put info together from different findings I am coming across on the internet. Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

When the coil is activated,it pulls the plate away from the hilliard(roll cage assy) allowing it to float in the hub and roller bearings cam upward and lock in against the hub when the rear tires slip about 1/8 turn and then releases when the rear regains traction! Use Demand Drive Plus hub fluid! FORGOT!! Welcome to the forum!! OPT

Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ok got this problem figured out finally. Now have a new one....

Ok figured out the problem on my 2003 Scrambler. The back of the roller cage is trashed so it needs new parts. Now on to my 2005 Scrambler. It is locked in 4 wheel drive all the time. The thumb switch doesn't change anything and it doesn't even light up. This one is the one I use for pushing snow mainly but would like to get it to go into 2 wheel drive so we can head to the forest with it too. Any ideas on this one? Thanks, Sean

Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds just like the one machine you just figured out Check the armature plates for excessive wear and being magnetized which can cause it to lock in awd. First you might do a fluid change and see if it helps. Also check that you have power to the hubs by checking the two connectors under the front panel (gray and brown wires) when you push the switch in and have in gear ,if not could have a problem with the switch,but on this model the bulb doesn't have to light for the switch to operate. OPT

Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ok, just remembered something else I don't know the answer of

My 05 will wind up and take off like it is supposed to. My 03 however has to wrap up for probably 5-8 seconds before it will take off. The clutch looks good and I even changed the belt on it with no improvements. This quad also has a loud whining coming out of the "transmission?" area. What's your thoughts on this one? I would like to try changing the transmission but they are not cheap. Also was wanting to upgrade the clutch but don't know if it is required. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it takes a while to speed up,you might just need to pull the rear clutch and check if you have any ramp buttons left! I've had this happen lots of times and seems like the rear clutch usually is the culprit. Could be the buttons worn plus helix might be grinding(might be the noise you're hearing?) or a spring broken? Plus while you're at it check out the front clutch buttons. OPT

Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry but can you specify on that one. Not sure what you mean by buttons. Also my buddies said the "whining" noise sounds like a supercharger.. It is rather loud. Would that possibly be something to do with the clutch?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you haven't worked on clutches before first look up the parts breakdown on Cycle Parts Warehouse for your model and shows the breakdown of the clutches and the parts involved.Clutch puller and spider tool are needed for the front clutch,but the rear one just slides off,BUT is spring loaded(that is if the spring hasn't broken) and must be pre wound when you reassemble. Manuals come in handy on this one.IF its not the clutches then could be bearing or "silent chain" noise in the transmission? OPT

Quick Reply: Need advice on my Scrambler that is locked in 4x4