Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 335 engine shuts off when the gear shift is put in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will give it a try this weekend. I will let you know how things work. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

If there is a problem with the reverse limiter module, would it affect the four wheel drive when the atv is driven in forward gear.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No Only time I've had one fail in forward gear is that it would do the same usually as what it would do in reverse and it would die when you placed in gear! It never happened to me,but possible it could limit in forward while driving,but you would just pull the black wire to over ride the module same as you would to solve the dieing problem in reverse(it's a reverse rpm limiter module) OPT

Old 01-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled the black wire from the reverse limiter module and the bike did not shut off when the gear shift lever was placed in reverse. When the ATV is in reverse and the AWD button is pushed in, the AWD indicator light does not come on. Does this mean I do not have AWD in reverse?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Light wont come on because you've bypassed the limiter.Just jack the atv up and make sure front wheels turn in reverse. OPT

Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The front wheels will turn in reverse or forward even though the back wheels are not slipping when the AWD button is pushed in while the bike is jacked up in the air?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes because you are actually fooling the awd system by having it jacked up! That how I always checked if an awd sytem was working correctly, or one wheel was turning only,or neither front wheels turned, etc. Also when you take it out of awd while still jacked up the front wheels should kick out! You may have to physically stop them with you feet first from turning,but they should stop and the back wheels only should turn! OPT

Old 11-13-2015, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 polaris sportsman 800

I'm having the same problem with my 800 when I put it in reverse. Does this override trick work on my model too? If so, how do I do it? Also...my speedo jumps all over the place and it also says I have a full tank of gas all the time. Any ideas on how to fix this ?

Old 11-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by audioeinstein
I'm having the same problem with my 800 when I put it in reverse. Does this override trick work on my model too? If so, how do I do it? Also...my speedo jumps all over the place and it also says I have a full tank of gas all the time. Any ideas on how to fix this ?
Your reverse limiter on this model is built into the speedo. You can bypass the over ride button as some have done and see if it helps. Here's the link on it.Polaris reverse overide? - General Discussion Forum | In-Depth Outdoors As far as the speedo jumping around are you talking about the tach or registering the speed itself? If it's the speed problem,then could be the speed sensor on the front caliper shorting out or the protective cap may be dirty.Items 11,12.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Speedo registering full could either be the speedos fault or the float in the fuel pump may be hitting the side of the tank and sticking.I've had to bend the arms a little on a couple of these when this happened.Look at this used assy for sale on ebay as a reference on the float arm.Gas Fuel Pump Assembly Kit 2006 2014 07 Polaris Sportsman 4x5 500 700 800 | eBay

Old 11-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 polaris

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Your reverse limiter on this model is built into the speedo. You can bypass the over ride button as some have done and see if it helps. Here's the link on it.Polaris reverse overide? - General Discussion Forum | In-Depth Outdoors As far as the speedo jumping around are you talking about the tach or registering the speed itself? If it's the speed problem,then could be the speed sensor on the front caliper shorting out or the protective cap may be dirty.Items 11,12.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Speedo registering full could either be the speedos fault or the float in the fuel pump may be hitting the side of the tank and sticking.I've had to bend the arms a little on a couple of these when this happened.Look at this used assy for sale on ebay as a reference on the float arm.Gas Fuel Pump Assembly Kit 2006 2014 07 Polaris Sportsman 4x5 500 700 800 | eBay
Thanks for the info. I got a relay and connected the wire as instructed. The link said to hook terminal 85 on the relay to polaris purple wire. I don't have a purple wire. I have a purple wire with a white stripe. I assumed it was the correct wire so I made that connection, turned on the bike and put it in reverse. Nothing changed. My cluster didn't say SLOW or anything. So...I'm assuming the purple/white wire is not correct ? All the other wires match up according to the instructions. I also checked each connection with a meter to make sure I had continuity. Any suggestions??

Quick Reply: Sportsman 335 engine shuts off when the gear shift is put in reverse.