Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 335 engine shuts off when the gear shift is put in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 335 engine shuts off when the gear shift is put in reverse.

I have a 2000 sportsman 335 and each time I shift the gear lever in to reverse the engine shuts down and I cannot start the atv when the lever is in reverse. When I press the override switch with the atv in reverse the bike will stay runnng but as soon as you take your hand off the over ride switch it will shut off. When the shift lever is in forward range or neutral the atv will start and stay on. Any ideas on what the problem might be? Please let me know. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Pull the front rack and pop the front panel. Pull the black wire from the module located on the far left. Shouldn't die in reverse and not necessary to push the yellow button in anymore for full power in reverse. OPT

Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Is the black wire on the CDI unit?

Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No,it's the reverse limiter module on the far left.If you pull the black wire from the cdi it eliminates the cdi kill circuit and wont turn off by the key. Try this and see if it will run in reverse. OPT

Old 12-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. as mentioned this will have full power in reverse so becarefull when your backing. also you won't need the override button in reverse as well.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

I used unhook this wire on all of my older machines when they were new before I went on the first ride.

I knew that sooner or later I would have to do it anyway and it is eaiser to do it at home in the garage than 20 miles from home in the woods.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Old Polaris Tech,
I pulled the black wire on the reverse limiter module with the bike on and in reverse and it did not shut off. When I put the wire back on the bike shut off. Does this mean the module needs to be replaced?

Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If mine I wouldn't waste the money(about 80 dollars) on a new LR83 rpm limiter module!! Just tape the end of the wire and tuck out of the way! You NOW have full power in reverse WITHOUT having to push the yellow button in! Be careful when you back up now These modules were famous for failing and most of my customers didn't want to replace em! Just a crappy safety feature from Polaris that wasn't necessary imo and didn't hold up! OPT

Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Would I still have four wheel drive in reverse with this module disconnected?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes! The module's main purpose was to limit rpm in reverse for safety reasons until you pushed the override button which allowed full power then in reverse. The limiter wouldn't allow awd in reverse(because you couldn't get enough power to allow the rear tires to slip,engaging the front wheel drive) until you held the button down. You are now over riding the over ride! The modules would usually do what you machine did and that was to die when you placed it in reverse when they shorted out OR could even short out when you place the shifter in forward range! I've had em do it both ways! Worst years for these modules to fail was the 90-96 models,but later ones failed also. Opt

Quick Reply: Sportsman 335 engine shuts off when the gear shift is put in reverse.