Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Automatic transmissions and synthetic grease

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-1999, 06:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mudmachine,
I assumed the Polaris was like the snowmobiles I rode years ago (haven't been on one in 20 years). I couldn't say they didn't have a wet clutch in the Engine but couldn't figure out why they would.
Scott.

Old 07-21-1999, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

If someone has more information on this, I defer to them. Since I haven't pulled my machine apart, I'm repeating what I was told by a Polaris dealer and a motorcycle supply store owner. If this isn't correct, please forgive my misinformation or misinterpretation of the information given to me.

What we really need here is someone who has taken a machine apart (and hopefully put it back together). Also, pictures would be nice.

Anyone else have any better information?

------------------
Kevin Staton
Windrock ATV Club
2000 Polaris Magnum 324 4x4

[This message has been edited by kevin_staton (edited 07-21-1999).]

Old 07-21-1999, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Kevin,
Ive taken my Scrambler clutch apart three different times. Once for a primary spring change, and twice for belt changes. When you pull off the cover, you will see a fixed pitch pulley on your right(on input shaft of gearbox) The pulley on the left is your "clutch" When looking at it, notice that the belt has lots of slack in it, if you start the machine with it in gear and the cover off, youll see that front pulley spinning(its bolted directly to the crankshaft)With it spinning at idle, the springs keep the pulley relaxed. If you rev it up,(put in neutral first)you would notice the pitch of the pulley would change and take the tension out of the belt. At that point, you basically have a 2" front pulley driving a 7 or 8" rear pulley. That ratio gets you up and going (or pulling power) as you accelerate the front pulley is going to pitch out futher, which changes the ratio, which makes you go faster. That set of pulleys and belt IS your clutch.

Old 07-21-1999, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

<h1>Thank You MudMachine!!!!</h1>

I hereby proclaim myself ready for public flogging.

I also now know that the heretofore mentioned local "authorities" are giving me the mushroom treatment (keep you in the dark and feed you lots of s$%t).

So... getting back to the spirit of the original post, has anyone used any other synthetic oil (Mobil-1, Havoline, etc.) in their machine or does everyone use the Polaris stuff? Is 0-40W Belray Synthetic worth the ~$9 per liter?

------------------
Kevin Staton Windrock ATV Club 2000 Polaris Magnum 325 4x4

Old 07-21-1999, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

Kevin,
Good to see you have a sense of humor. The best thing about these forums is learning new stuff. Mudmachine has definitely been inside his PVT/Centrifugal clutch.
I have only had my Polaris a couple of months and don't know what weight or type of oil "Polaris Premium Synthetic Gearcase lubricant (PN 2871478)" happens to be. I would suggest not asking your dealer! If you have a container of this lube I would check to see the weight. Choose something of the same weight and stick with synthetics, they are tougher and last longer. Any quality company's competing product will work just as well.
Scott.

Old 07-21-1999, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

Kevin,
Don't ya just hate that... You'd think dealerships would be more forth-coming with info about a machine that you own... I learned the hard way with a Yamaha... Anyway, on the oil, I just use the Polaris Synthetic oil.. 0-w40.. Its good and thin for cold starts, and has a good viscosity when its hot.. and it only takes two quarts, so its worth it to get to hang out at the dealership and drool over the new machines..
I WOULD like to find a cheaper source for the oil filters though.. (EXCEPT FOR A FRAM) The Gearbox oil is some Polaris Synthetic gear oil..(Purple label I think??) I get it at the dealer too...
Atleast I can say im not spending 115 dollars for front brake shoes for my 98 Yamaha NOT INSTALLED.. thats the take home and do them yourself price!! Won't do that again!!!

Old 07-22-1999, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

I use AMSOIL synthetics -
AMSOIL 0w30 In the crankcase
AMSOIL 75w90 in the differentials
AMSOIL synthetic ATF in the front hubs
AMSOIL water resistant grease

'98 Sportsman 500 with almost 1000 miles on the odometer

------------------