Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Front prop shaft removal 2005 sportsman 500

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front prop shaft removal 2005 sportsman 500

I can see I'm going to have to do U joints in the front prop shaft and need a push in the right direction on shaft removal.

They're getting sloppy and will want that done before plowing season gets here. I stay out of water so was surprised to see them starting to throw rust onto the frame at the joints.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

This job goes much easier if you have an air chisel with a pointed tip to drive out the roll pin on the shaft end by the front differential. Then the prop shaft must be knocked back(or with a blunt air chisel bit,hammered back) to clear the front differential,then knocked forward again off the the gear case shaft with the prop shaft angled to the left of the differential so it can be removed from the atv. It can be a knuckle buster at times if the prop shaft is slightly rusted on the splines without air tools. OPT

Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

I walked out just now and had a look at it and I can see what you're saying OPT, thanks for info. I can see how an air chisel would be the tool in there. Not alot of room in that spot for a hammer and punch. Looks tight to run the yoke off the shaft up by the front gearcase.

Any thoughts on the replacement U-joints?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Once you get the shaft off and ready to install the new cross kits( u-joints) Just have a socket slightly small than the u joint cup,pop the clip off one side then drive the cup down,then the other side.Install the cross kit the same way you removed with the grease fitting oriented the same way. Add a little extra grease to the cups if necessary to keep the bearings from falling out,start the cup on the shaft,install the clip and seat the cup flush. Repeat for the others,working one side to the other. OPT

Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the fast response. I can see by other threads here you're a real asset to this forum! I'll get back w/ my progress....

Old 10-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put some neverseeze on the prop splines also. Make them much easier to remove if you have to again down the road. Check ebay for u-joints. Much better prices than the dealer and the aftermarket ones usually have a grease zerk.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, wondered about that. I do a lot of shopping on ebay. What do you search when you look those u-joints up?

edit: disregard...found'em just by searching 'u joint sportsman 500'. Gotta love ebay.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well believe it or not, I ran those ratty u joints up until now and only pulled the prop shaft because I had blown a front drive shaft right out of the front hub and had it torn down so went all the way in and got the main shaft out too. Roll pin drove out w/ no issues w/ just a length of rod stock held tight w/ visegrips. Pretty ingenious way to handle that shaft. I'm wondering if anyone has dimensions on the u joints..thot I might just run down to Napa and see if they had something generic on the shelf. Looks like they want $14 shipped for one on ebay....need two.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lot of posts I've read says Napa #338 will work. Haven't ever used them,but sure do look like the Polaris oem ones.

Attached Thumbnails Front prop shaft removal 2005 sportsman 500-nwmdc.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

Yes. I used the Napa ujoint. It's apparently listed as an agricultural part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front prop shaft removal 2005 sportsman 500