Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Spark plug change on 400/500HO?

Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug change on 400/500HO?

Wondering how you change the spark plug without stripping the ATV down? Any ideas?

I have been told these Fuji engines run smoother on a NGK Iridium plug.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just use the plug remover in the tool kit and a 17 mm wrench(if you have the tool kit) Or just use a plug socket,1/2" extension and a small ratchet. I just used a socket and a flex ratchet because of the angled head. You can use a pencil magnet to get the plug out or even a piece of vinyl tubing over the plug to pull it out.I'd stay with the BKR5 or 6 plug.I've tried Iridiums in different older machines and fouled em out. Tried em even in my old Honda with little success. Fouled these high dollar plugs out too. They work best on the newer electronic ignitions. Just my on this one. Others may differ on this. OPT

Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just use the plug remover in the tool kit and a 19 mm wrench(if you have the kit) Or just use a plug socket,1/2" extension and a small ratchet. I just used a socket and a flex ratchet because of the angled head. You can use a pencil magnet to get the plug out or even a piece of vinyl tubing over the plug to pull it out.I'd stay with the BKR5 or 6 plug.I've tried Iridiums in different older machines and fouled em out. Tried em even in my old Honda with little success. Fouled these high dollar plugs out. They work best on the newer electronic ignitions.Just my on this one. OPT
Is that tin socket and the handle thing the plug remover? Thanks for the advice on the plugs. Will stay with the one in it!!

Thanls again OPT!!

Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes the long socket and wrench. Might be easier to use a regular short wrench on the socket head,just give it a try. OPT

Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the long socket and wrench. Might be easier to use a regular short wrench on the socket head,just give it a try. OPT
Thanks OPY! I will try a ratchet wrench.

In my service manual, it says to use anti seize on the plug threads? Is copper good, that is all I have.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You need someone good at brail also. You can,t see a thing its all feel. LOL

Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I never did! The plug cap if in good shape pretty well seals up the area,can't remember any time I ever broke a plug or had a hard time getting one out.But that's just me! You can use a little anti seize if you like. Copper or silver,either one. OPT

Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

I never did! The plug cap if in good shape pretty well seals up the area,can't remember any time I ever broke a plug or had a hard time getting one out.But that's just me! You can use a little anti seize if you like. Copper or silver,either one. OPT
Any tips on getting the plug cap off? pliers? special puller?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is where you need to be careful! I still have the "L" shaped plug cap remover that I just used the palm of my hand to pop the cap up. Just reach in and work it a little side to side and up,don't break the cap or it's $25 or more to replace. I've seen a lot of em taped up over the years! OPT

Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

This is where you need to be careful! I still have the "L" shaped plug cap remover that I just used the palm of my hand to pop the cap up. Just reach in and work it a little side to side and up,don't break the cap or it's $25 or more to replace. I've seen a lot of em taped up over the years! OPT
Is that plug cap remover in the tool kit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plug change on 400/500HO?