Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

no spark to plug when using electric starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark to plug when using electric starter

Working on a Polaris trail boss 330 2007 original owner

Symptoms: no spark to spark plug when using electric starter, thus a no start using this method

However I get spark to plug when using recoil starter , ignition switch in on position and engine will run

I have troubleshooted the following

1. New Polaris starter installed Friday
2.ignition coil ohms out within specs
3. New spark plug, checked for cracks, none found and proper electrode gap
4. Checked ohms on pulse coil results 512
5. Checked ohms on charge coil results 1.1 little high
6. Checked DCV on lead from CD to ignition coil primary results 30.82 ignition on & 30.18-24 trying to start the atv , not sure if there is enough voltage there. I have read sever as post that there should be higher readings there like 100dcv?
7. New battery fully charged and load tested with my load tester no issues
8. When I pull start the ATV and engine running, I get 14.5-14.9v at battery so I'm assuming the stator is working as it should?
9. All heights work as they should
10. Kill switch and etc switch are working properly
Please any advice to help would be appreciated to point me in the right direction. I have gone as far as I can at this point
Thanks!!!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Dc voltage from cdi coil wire shows to be 20 vdc on average with 130 dcv peak. Think from the stator to the cdi is ok. Check voltage drop at battery while cranking and see how much it drops. This is where I found most of the problems where it would recoil start,but not electric start. Even on load tested batteries and under good charging conditions have seen voltage drop down to 9-10 volts.Not enough "umph" to electric start. Plus check the plug cap. 5k ohm rated and should be around 4.8 or more. OPT

Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Dc voltage from cdi coil wire shows to be 20 vdc on average with 130 dcv peak. Think from the stator to the cdi is ok. Check voltage drop at battery while cranking and see how much it drops. This is where I found most of the problems where it would recoil start,but not electric start. Even on load tested batteries and under good charging conditions have seen voltage drop down to 9-10 volts.Not enough "umph" to electric start. Plus check the plug cap. 5k ohm rated and should be around 4.8 or more. OPT
Thanks for the advice, OK I will check that tomorrow if not raining
Do you have a recommendation on how to do a proper voltage drop on the battery while cranking?

If voltage drop is not the problem, any advice on next move

Old 12-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just use your meter on the battery while someone cranks the engine over.This is all that I can think of since it recoil starts ok. The 2009 and newer models can crank with less voltage because of the electronics change. OPT

Old 12-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

i would be tempted to check the wiring for the start circuit at your ignition switch, and checking for effective grounds

Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by gatess
i would be tempted to check the wiring for the start circuit at your ignition switch, and checking for effective grounds
You know, I have thought about that and will check into that tomorrow also
I need a good service manual, not this one I got off the net

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

Btw would a bad ignition switch cause a no spark to plug issue while using electric start
I'll just have to keep digging

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes it's possible the 3 position ignition switch could be faulty, cutting the spark in starting position and I have replaced a few,but check all the ground connections as mentioned also from the battery up to the switch. Plus make sure the main ground on the frame ( I believe on this model on the frame up from the battery) is tight and check all component connections under the front panel. OPT

Old 12-09-2012, 07:52 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes it's possible the 3 position ignition switch could be faulty, cutting the spark in starting position and I have replaced a few,but check all the ground connections as mentioned also from the battery up to the switch. Plus make sure the main ground on the frame ( I believe on this model on the frame up from the battery) is tight and check all component connections under the front panel. OPT
thanks for the info, any suggestions on how to test that switch? my manual has only a current draw on switch test
i'll do more searching also

Last edited by lovetowrenchit; 12-09-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: changed on to only
Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Nope! My manual shows the same. The main thing is to check fire with the plug grounded to the cylinder and see if it has spark while cranking with the starter.If it does have spark it isn't the switch! If it only has spark in the on position and with the recoil starter only,you can pretty well say the switch has an internal short. I treated switches the same as testing a cdi as the manuals recommend. "Replace with a known good one" Good thing I had the shop and usually enough parts in the parts room to swap out switches,cdis,speedo's,etc. Tough on the owner to guess on what's bad at times and have to throw parts at it when the manuals don't show enough tests. OPT

Quick Reply: no spark to plug when using electric starter